More trouble for a beginner! Help 

ThrillingDrew

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
VERY SORRY FOR RUSHED WRITING I AM NOT SUPOSED TO BE ON MY COMPUTER I HAVE AN EXAM ON MONDAY I HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND!

HI again everyone i'm back and with a few more queries about my tank.
As my info shows I have a 25 LT tank with a filter and heater and I had 2 angelfish and 3 cardinal tetras.
My last problem was the angelfish fighting and I had many good suggestions and I did purchase a new tank which is coming tomorrow.

But I was very worried for the bullied angelfish as he was looking quite scared and beaten so in a random attempt to make the dominant angelfish stop attacking him I rushed to my nearest fish store and purchased 13 new fish (this was also to populate my new tank).
This included
-5 I think female red tail guppies (which look beautiful)
-5 I can't remember the names but they look like small stereotypical goldfish but are about 3x the size of a normal guppy
-1 siamese fighting fish
-1 yellow lab the guy said? Medium sized fish (remember this is in comparison with a 25LT tank)
-1 candystripe loach

In my bold effort to combat my angelfish attack I seemed to have created more problems.
3 of my red tailed guppies have died and that is due to their back fins being completely eaten off which is the most horrible thing I have ever seen.
And one of my 5 golfish guppy things has died and I think that was just stress (he looked bloated before death).
And is seems that my yellow lab fish has two white spots on his rear fin.

Here are a few pictures of my tank and the white spots.

JustinF

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sorry to hear your having problems.

I would guess it's the Siamese fighting fish aka Betta, that is killing the guppies. I've read that they think the guppies are the same as them and will attack.

White spots are usually ich, but I'll let someone else answer that.

Goldfish produce to much waste in my opinion as they add more maintenance and they are not tropical so they don't mix well with the tropicals.

Cichlids also will attack the other fish in your tank.

Again sorry your having trouble.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!!
I'm so sorry about your fish.
In your other thread, the members pointed out that you were overstocked.
I don't want to sound rude, but your solution to the aggression/stocking issue was to add 13 more incompatible fish?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good afternoon,

So sorry to hear about your fish loss. I'm afraid that you have incompatible tank mates. I wish I had better news for you.

The Betta should really be housed in a home by itself, 5 gallon to 10 gallon heated and filtered. They do not appreciate tanks mates not even of their own kind.

The Yellow Lab, I believe I haven't owned one, should be in a species only tank or at least a tank of cichlids and not the calm fish such as guppies. Cichlids can and are an aggressive species for the most part but not all of them. You can do a Fish Lore Search for Yellow Lab Cichlid for more information.

I'm not sure what your "goldfish guppy things" are.

Keep an eye on the white spots. If the fish appears to have been sprinkled with salt then chances are it's ICH. If they are white fluffy patches then it may be some type of fungus. I can't really tell in the photos. I don't really see any white spots so I don't think it is ICH.

Hang on for more responses. Best wishes.

Ken

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think you mean GLO FISH and not goldfish since glo fish look like guppies.. Overstocking always leads to aggression so consider returning some of them.

I'm sorry to say this but your Yellow Lab isn't a pure Yellow lab. Its a hybrid. Pure yellow labs don't have those "egg spots".

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
firemouthfreak said:
I think you mean GLO FISH and not goldfish since glo fish look like guppies.QUOTE]

Glofish look nothing like Guppies & they also arn't 3 times the size of a Guppy either.

I agree that you have too many incompatible fish. I strongly urge you to carefully research each fish you have & work out which ones are compatible. Return all those that are not or that you will not have room for in your new tank. It's very rare that the answer to aggression is to get more fish. That only works with certain species & I'm afraid they arn't the species you were originally having problems with.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How big is the new tank going to be? Two angels and 3 cardinals have no place in a 25L (which works out to 6.6g US). Probably the only fish you have in there that could happily live in a tank that small is the betta--by itself.

I'm trying to understand your thought process behind adding all these fish. Did the salesperson at the fish store suggest them?

-Lisa

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think you need to shop somewhere else. The fish store that sold you those fish is very negligent. Having said that, you have to read up and decide which fish you want, and can look after properly, before you purchase if you want to avoid similar problems in the future. Prevention is better than cure!

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The 'Goldfish' are Platies, there's one in the first picture.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads