More tanks...?

1. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Yes, I want more tanks!!!! Okay, my plan actually is to have 2 more extra tanks by the end of december. 1 30g or 40g tank for my remaining community from my 55g, was thinking to transfer them and put another fish in my 55g. Probably an aggressive or semi-aggressive fish (haven't decided yet). Then, 1 5g or 10g for a betta that I might go searching for after it's set up. It'll be like a christmas present for a poor death cup baby. Had set up my budget, and where and when to get the stuff. But haven't planned where to put them :whistling:

Well, I was just telling my mom about this and guess what? Of course like some parents would, they won't let you execute your plan. My mom said that I shouldn't be spending too much money on more tanks. That I should save for the laptop I've been wanting to get. I explained to her that I have a backup plan for that, that when I'm 18, my grandmum would hand me about 2-3k from my 15 year old bank acc. But she still refused... But I guess I have to obey :;sl

2. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

See, I'm going in the opposite direction... I'm getting rid of my 20 & 55. It really is too much $$ to upkeep unfortunatley.

3. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Aw... :( Wish I lived closer to you, I'd buy them straight! haha I'm sorry you have to give them away though.

4. Betafish305ca Member Member

its hard to try and explain to parents some times... i live on my own, and i have to fight the impulse to buy a hole bunch of tanks.... anywho, back to your situation, try and think of different approaches maybe to ration with your parents, write down your budget for this to show them... hope this helps

5. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

Ive been in the same situation as you, but i still buy the tanks anyway and come home with them LOL its my money i do what i want with it LOL (bad advise i know) but you just cant help it! 55g... i would get some africans :) they should keep your family entertained ;D

6. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

It helps! Thanks! :;hug2

haha yeah. I know. :whistling: Yeah, I keep thinking that too but after all said and done, sometimes parents' advice can make sense too. Money ain't easy to get they say, but not difficult to spend... I'd love to get cichlids but my family? Entertained by fishes? :;sh No way! Only people like us would be entertained and other people would just say, 'THEY'RE JUST FISH!' :( It's sad.

7. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

i agree LOL the other day my mom was like: "YOur fish are fighting!!!" and i'm like... mom theyre cichlids, its normal LOL

I agree though, my parents are telling me to save up too, but buying one tank wont hurt me LOL i need to save up for Lady Gaga's new CD, clayton's 5g and a new cellphone... my current one broke LOL

I have snuck 2 tanks in this house LOL a 2.5g and a 10g... so sneaking the 5g shouldnt be a problem LOL

8. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

LOL that's interesting ;D

You like Lady Gaga? haha I like her but not really her songs... (no offence though) Sorry about your cellphone though, hope you can replace it fast! I'd become worried to go to places alone without my phone...

You can sneak in carrying a 2.5g and a 10g into the house without getting noticed? LOL that's cool! But eventually your parents will see the tank right? I can do the same, IF I could drive but haven't got my licence yet :( Still patiently waiting! :whistling: lol

9. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Well as a parent and a grandparent I say you should listen to them. I cannot help you to figure out how to get them in your house against their approval. They (we) are looking to the future also....young folks look more to the present.
    Get your future life rolling and then you will be able to have a tank house...all glass....fish swimming all the walls.....400 gal fish tank coffee table and end tables.
    But for now, their house, their rules!....ain't this depressing for me to say!!!!

And Tony!!! your money your tanks?? Their house? Their rules...you pay rent??

I'm so evil...but those are some of the facts....lol

10. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

That really helps Ted, don't worry! Yeah, I guess it's true we young people always look only to the present.

And you got me dreaming and thinking of my dream tank house now. :;lg It's gonna be in my head all day long! haha My mom also said, 'wait till you get a job, then you can get a bigger tank if you want.' LOL

11. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

LOL ted, i agree :giggle: i guess im not that great of a son LOL

If you read above i said it was bad advise. I listen to my parents, but there are sometimes that you got to risk it ya know? i know bad advise again, dont listen to me, im crazy LOL

Lady Gaga, i like her, her music, its just most people these days dont really listen to the lyrics or their meaning lol i do. My cellphone still works, but since i cant get a new ipod i have to get a good cellphone with mp3 and a camera so i can take good pics of the fish and post them here LOL

anyway back to the topic, i think you should listen to your parents. I get away with a few things but my parents arent like everybody's, they can be really strict or really shallow. Also how your mom said: "wait till you get a job to get a bigger tank"

thats great advise right there :)

i am doing that LOL

12. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Keep that dreaming!!! Just think...have an all glass home 3/4 submerged in the center of a clear lake...stocked with your favorite fish!!!!!!......hummm

13. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

:;laughing that would be really cool... you could have whichever fish you wanted!

14. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I agree that it is their house and their rules. Heck, I'm 29 and when I spent a couple of months at my parents' house recently, I still asked their permission to set up a small tank for a betta (that's when I got Cowboy). It's just a matter of respect IMO whether you are legally an adult or not.

That said, it sounds like they are more worried about the money issue and your future than anything else. Is it possible for you to do some chores for them and earn the money? Maybe if they saw that you were saving your other money for a computer, and willing to do extra work for your tanks, it could be ok with them.

15. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

As a parent, I have to say to abide by their rules and what they say goes in their house.

However, if my daughter wanted another tank (we are setting up another one for her in the near future), I would allow her to get one. As long as there is room for something and I can afford to buy it for her or she has the money, I don't tell her no. With live animals, I am the "backup" person if she were to choose not to take care of it any longer. I've never had that problem with her not accepting responsibility for an animal.

I have my own place and I get annoyed when my parents tell me I shouldn't get more tanks. In my position, I don't think it's their business.

16. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Definitely! BB, we are both old enough for our parents to butt out when it comes to our own home! LOL. My parents just laugh when I tell them about new tanks now. :p

17. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

Lucky LOL whenever my parents realize i have a new tank theyre like: When did you get it? what does it have in it? cool..."

LOL i guess my parents are really cool if i dont get in trouble LOL

18. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Thanks for all the advice guys! I decided to lay low and just concentrate all my savings on my laptop. But how do I stop getting myself into my local online store searching for used tanks?! :helpsmilie: It's like a temptation, and when I see an affordable valuable used tank, I'd straight away pick up the phone and call em'. It's like a tank hunger! MTS :;voices

Ted! You're making me d:drool:! LOL

19. theshiftys_jm Member Member

You think parents are hard? *LOL* Try a wife! I have to sneak the new fishy-kids home whilst she is re-couping at her folks who live close by. Invariably I get the phone call: "Honey, I just got home and noticed that, (said household item) was out of place, So that tells me you were here, and that leads me to the next question. How did some new Cichlids just appear in the tank?"

"Well honey, they must have bred!"

"Nice try, we'll talk when you get home from work...."

And that starts the rest of the story.....

20. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Sneaky...

Talking about sneaking tanks and fish in. I went to the LFS today to get 2 sets of bowfront tanks for a friend in another state. He can't seem to get a good bowfront there so he asked me to ship 2 for him.

So while I was buying the bowfront, a cute lil' death cup baby caught my eye. I put my finger against his cup and there he goes, shooting around the cup so actively. And when he stops, he starts flaring at me. I looked at the other babies and they weren't really interested with me. Some even just turned their tails at me. :( Well, so I couldn't resist AGAIN! Came out of the LFS with 2 bowfront tanks, a lil' cute betta and a 4.5 gal tank. I had to sneak behind the worker helping me to carry the bowfronts with the 4.5 gal as we walked towards my mum's car. Arrived home, after a few minutes, I just sneaked in carrying the 4.5 gal and the betta into my room, slowly setting it up. I'm acclimating my new boy as I type this.

I know I'm bad and kinda sneaky but sorry, you enablers and betta keepers know the feeling right? To not be able to resist the cute face of your babies? :whistling:

I'll update with pictures later in another thread.