More summer issues...

offminded

ok...so the water bottle idea isn't working all that well...am I going to have to bite the bullet and run the heck outta my ac? or am I going to have to drop big bucks on a chiller?

TFA101

have you tried freezing the water in the bottle and then put it in the tank?

Oil_Fan

Are your heaters are turned completely off? Or do they have a temp sensor inside? Such as the Rena heaters.

offminded

I have tried frozen bottles and put them in the sump, but it barely drops the temp. I have turned my heater off as well...

Martinismommy

I know all too well about the Summer heat....We get highs in the 120's here in Phoenix....I keep my air at 78-80 and it seems to be working.....Not seeing any signs of stress on the fish.....I do however keep frozen water bottles in the sump...I use 2 liter soda bottles....

offminded

so it looks like I'll have to run the ac even though I am not home

Martinismommy

Where do you live? And how hot does it get?

offminded

it gets 100-105

Martinismommy

it gets 100-105

Set the air at 80 and keep it running 24/7.....It' cheaper in the long run ...If you turn it off and on it costs more......

offminded

yeah...that may be the answer...I am considering a chiller...but not sure...I know they're a boat load of $$$$

mastercave

if the outside temp is 100-105, how hot does your aquarium get?

in san francisco bay area, we're getting about 88-90 outside and my tanks are hitting 86.

offminded

I have topped out at 83

agsansoo

Have you tried cooling fans

running on top of your display tank ? Or what I do is use a regular room fan, and point it at my sump.
I recommend running te a/c if someone is home, a chiller if no one is home to monitor the tank temp. Running the a/c all day is going to cost you more than a chiller in the long run.

Tumbleweed

I live in the SF Bay Area in the valley, and last summer the outside temp got in to the 105-110 range and my tanks got around the 83-88 range, and all of my fish did just fine. The problem the fish have with the warmer water is the warmer the water is the less oxygen it can store so it makes it harder for the fish to breathe. I found by just adding an air pump with fine air stones which helps oxygenate the water.

offminded

I will look into the cooling fans and the air pump...this may be a dumb question, but adding the air into the aquarium via airstones will produce bubbles and more oxygen into the tank, right?
could I use something like this? add some tubing and then an airstone to the tubing, right?

Tumbleweed

I will look into the cooling fans and the air pump...this may be a dumb question, but adding the air into the aquarium via airstones will produce bubbles and more oxygen into the tank, right?
could I use something like this? add some tubing and then an airstone to the tubing, right?

Yes that would work just fine. I have one that is very similiar too this.

offminded

excellent...i'll get one or both of these and let ya'll know how it goes

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Per Albertsen
Replies
Views
Idkitsathrowaway
Replies
Views
max h