more stupid misinformation about Bettas!

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I am horrified reading about how wholesalers treat and ship their Bettas! Keeping them in tiny (smaller than the cups at the petshops) cups that are not even see through, completely in the dark and shipping them in TINY plastic bags stacked together 150 to a bucket!  :'(   Makes you wonder what horrors our babies have been through and I wonder how any survive!  This site not only condones keeping them in very small containers but argues with anyone who dares to say otherwise (see bottom of article)
No wonder so many people are getting the WRONG info on caring for these fish! Just because a fish CAN live in a small bowl, doesn't mean it SHOULD!

This site also condones raising and conditioning Bettas for fighting...  :

clone555

Reaction score
that is horrible

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It's a good thing I am not working at a fish store, because if I did, I'd make their life a living ****. Under my watch, NO BETTA would EVER be kept in a cup of water, EVER. Neither can I comprehend the horrible conditions in which these poor fish are shipped. They're treated like regular products that you see at store shelves - they're not treated like living beings at all. I can't even talk about it :'( No words can express how it makes me feel.

jrod

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
that makes my angry > > >

gammerus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
" Tell me, was he not healthy living in the jar? BTW, I clean their water weekly."

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

(too sad for words)

Rose
:'(

Phonemonkey

Reaction score
Sometimes I am unspeakably ashamed to be human. This would be one of those times.

Peter243243

Valued Member
Reaction score
On another website there was an ad for a book with info you'll never learn in a pet store.
The why to never finding the info in a pet store is
A.don't know  :'(
B.don't care  >

this case...

C. all of the above. > :'( > :'(

P.S. The don't care and don't know is describing the big stores I made some confusion with this misunderstanding.(and I'm still sorry for the confusion,)

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Some people are so selfish! They only think about themselves instead of their envirement and other animals. Many animals are endangered or extinct because of us humans! People just don't care!!!!!!!! Aaaarrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! > > > > >

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
"Since they came in these tiny bags, you know you can keep them in bowls."

ohhhh this makes me so ANGRY I can't even tell you...why are there such stupid, selfish, cruel people?!!!!!!
> > > > >

Maybe we should make those people LIVE in their BATHROOMS!!!

what Phonemonkey said pretty much sums it up

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

I don't know what to say. That article was infuriating and apalling.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Phloxface said:
  This site not only condones keeping them in very small containers but argues with anyone who dares to say otherwise.

This site also condones raising and conditioning Bettas for fighting...  :
Just for the record.  The "This site" noted here does not mean Fishlore.com but the site listed in the link given.  When I went back to reread the topic I found the post a little confusing perhaps to those not familiar to our topic.

Rose

AesSedai

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hope I'm not double posting.  I don't think the first post worked.  I'll check back and hopefully will be able to delete one if it does go through twice.

What I wanted to say is....

Someone posted saying that people just don't care. 

She does.  Everyone in this thread cares, clearly.  This thread, albeit short, has shown me that I have found *the* Betta site/forum for me.  I am of like mind...totally.  I got my Betta on Oct 18th.  That same day he went to a 2 1/2 quart acrylic tank.  Still wasn't good enough.  I moved him to his 10 gal. tank on Nov 14 (a lil ashamed of myself for having taken so long!)

Namaste to you Dear Souls that care so much for these (and no doubt all) creatures.  And Betta's are such! special creatures.  I'm so in love and I'll never be without one (or 2 or more, heh) now.  I decided that I will, when buying Betta in the future, only buy the ones who are the most in need (I've researched every day, most of the day, since I got him to be prepared to help the Betta I adopt in the future and to ensure his long life, health and happiness). 

Walmart Supercenter...

I found stacked cups and unstacked them.  2 Betta on the bottom who obviously smothered to death because their air holes were blocked I brought to the manager (whom I waited for by the cash registers to be overheard!) and complained about the horrible conditions they keep their Betta in, how dirty their water is and you KNOW they don't feed them cause everyone knows a Betta can go a month without eating, right?  <shakes head in sadness>  :'( I wanted to ask her to post a sign saying, "Do NOT stack cups, they'll suffocate" but was afraid some would see the sign and stack the cups thinking it's funny.

I'm so glad to have found you all. It's a pleasure, to be sure.

((((Everyone)))

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to the forum. We definately need more people like you and all of the people on this forum who care about fish in this world. Too bad your introduction couldn't start on a happier note...

PS what's your Betta's name? ;D

Peter243243

Valued Member
Reaction score
I was saying that the big stores didn't care.
I didn't say anything bad about Fishlore.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Peter, I do not think anyone thought you did say anything bad about Fishlore.com. When I put the post in about Fishlore.com not being the "site" mentioned, I was clarifying the post made at the beginning of the thread where the statement was in my opinion not real clear, but I am sure that member did not intend to state anything bad about Fishlore.com either. It is just that it is my job to clarify anthing that I see that I think new people coming on the site for the first time may not understand. We all know what this is about but if someone were to start with this thread who did not know this could have been confusing.

It was not meant to accuse anyone. Please do not feel upset.

Rose

Peter243243

Valued Member
Reaction score
I meant AesSedai's post.
I think she misunderstood my post and thought I was saying something bad about Fishlore.
(sorry for the confusion)

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No problem I think we now have it all straightened out.

I got it wrong too. It has been one of those kind of days, you know. SHHEEESH

Rose

AesSedai

Valued Member
Reaction score
0morrokh I think you were welcoming me...couldn't see that you were replying to me but think you were. Thank you

His name is Zen. He is so cool, so utterly fearless. When I pour water into this tank (ultra slowly) he runs right over for a shower. I move to the other side and here he comes again, lol. He takes showers under the filter current too and to think I worried that it was too much for him. Not.

When my arms are in the tank, he is RIGHT there, an inch away and follows me around as I work. I must move around very slowly in the tank because of it. He's never cowered from me. I am so in love and I think he's kinda into me too <g>

Truly, I am amazed at how brave this lil guy is. He's been netted twice to move him to another tank (gawd I hated doing that to him and really need to get a brine shrimp net...think that's what it's called) but he took it in stride and the pellet asking for forgiveness he readily accepted, lol.

I need to get a picture of him but need the digital camera first. A friend said walgreens has a $10.00 keychain size one that takes great pics so I'll get that when I see it and share the pic here of course.

Namaste
Karyn

AesSedai

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hey ((Peter))

I sure didn't mean to cause confusion. It wasn't you hun it was me. I could have posted whom I was actually replying to/for/about

It was Stradius's post that prompted me to reassure him (not that he needed it and I sure understand his righteous anger when he posted that) that many do care as evidenced by the people here (and at the many other Betta forums there are out there).

If you really want to be the cause though, in the interest of fairness ;D we can play a quick game of rock, paper, scissors and see how gets to be the confuser, LOL

Namaste Hun
Karyn

Peter243243

Valued Member
Reaction score
Oh, anyway for rock, paper, scissors we need Stradius to play too. ;D

I hope everything is cleared up though.

Rock, Paper, Scissors shoot!
Tidal Wave!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!