More Stocking Questions... Sorry Guys

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by stella1979, Apr 10, 2017.

1. stella1979

stella1979 Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Fishy Friends,

So, here's yet another thread on stocking my 20gL. This tank is a gift to my son and is in his room, so I am trying to be accommodating to his wishes for these fish, if possible.

Cardinal Tetras - 10-12
    Male Guppys - 4-6
    RCS - 8? I think that's a good number to start, hopefully they'll like their new home and breed.

Sand substrate with some large stone gravel, lots of artificial plants. Filter runs at 160 gph. TDS meter reads 325, GH test 322, KH 197 & pH is 8. I think this is good for the guppies and shrimp. I know the tetras prefer softer softer, more acidic water but the boy is set on these guys so we hope we'll be able to keep them. Surely my local breeder has similar water parameters. What do you guys think?

Also, I have a question about temp. We convinced the boy to go with cardinals instead of neons because the guppies prefer a warmer temp. I was thinking we'd set it at 77° but just today I read a post stating that RCS need cooler water? Also, I'm worried about not having live plants for these guys (although, hopefully that will happen in the near future.) If that is the case, I don't know that we should get them. All advice welcome but the tetras and guppies take precedence here :)

2. ashenwelt

ashenwelt Well Known Member Member

RCS should live and breed fine at 77 degrees Fahrenheit. They are actually insanely adaptable. If you can I would start the tank with shrimp first.

3. OP
    OP
    stella1979

Thanks for the advice ashenwelt! I can start with shrimp first :) The boy is most interested in the tetras though, so can you tell me why shrimp first?

4. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Guppies would prefer cooler water so neons would be better

5. ashenwelt

ashenwelt Well Known Member Member

If the shrimp are in there first they will usually already have hiding spots identified and may start breeding early. It just optimizes their long term survival. While none of what you listed should actively go after adults the shrimp will just feel safer.

General rule of thumb: stock weakest to strongest. So in this case shrimp then tetra then guppy.

Oh what type of guppies? Traditional fancies or endler crosses like cobras? Just being nosey lol.

6. OP
    OP
    stella1979

Derrr:confused:, I thought I was going weakest to strongest but didn't really think it through I guess. Boy wants several different fancy guppies, including the Green Cobra, Red Cobra, Russian Blue & Blue Variegated. We were originally planning on 3 of these guys. That was before we visited our nearest breeder. They are beautiful :D

7. OP
    OP
    stella1979

We've heard it both ways and could go with either tetra. One of the youtube guppy guys that we think we can trust most advised warmer temps for them. I don't know what to think. Could you tell me a little more?

8. BottomDweller

I've kept guppies with no heater before. They can cope with a wide range of temperatures but slightly cooler water is best. Around 73f is a good temperature. If the water is too warm the fry grow faster but they die younger. If the water is too cool they don't breed or they breed slower. If the temperature is too extreme either way they are more susceptible to disease. Cardinals or neons are ok but I think the neons would be more compatible.

9. cjbart1009

cjbart1009 Valued Member Member

Maybe you can get some java moss with drift wood? The shrimp will love plus it can serve as a hiding place for baby shrimp. Neons and guppies do go for baby shrimp.

10. OP
    OP
    stella1979

I do already have driftwood, forgot to mention that. I want plants badly, but I'm worried about my substrate and light. Java moss is low tech right? Easy fert schedule? Would it do alright with sand? I'm sorry, I've been trying to soak up as much info as possible. I've maintained one tank for years, now I'm starting a second and find that I am still a newb with a lot of this stuff. Guess we'd have to just give our light a try, it's a DIY with RGB LED's.

11. BottomDweller

Java moss and java fern are both great in low light low tech tanks

12. cjbart1009

cjbart1009 Valued Member Member

Java moss and java feed don't need to be planted. Java fern and moss is mostly attached in driftwood and rocks. You can superglue them in place and just watch them grow. You don't even need to add ferts. I've kept java moss and java fern in fry tanks. Don't even know what kind of light I used. Just regular feeding of the fry and water changes and they grew in the 5g tank I had them in.

You can add a weekly fertilizer for the java fern since it feeds from the water and not from the soil.

13. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree with BD, guppies do much better in cooler temps. They are from Mexico, which is warm but not as tropical compared to, say, Venezuela or Panama as far as the water goes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice