More spots... What now?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Maxi1, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Maxi1Valued MemberMember

I am treating my 55 gallon tank for an ich outbreak, the second time in a month. Been using Super Ick Cure for 6 days and temp in tank been at 86 for 5 days. Started with 4 spots and today there are 6 on the gourami and 2 new ones on another. Using med at half dose for loaches. Any advice?

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Rivieraneo

RivieraneoModeratorModerator Member

Maxi1, ICH is one of those disease that looks worse before it gets better. Remember that medication only kills the ich spores that are suspended in the water column, not the ones encapsulated and inside the little white cysts on your fish. The purpose behind raising the heat in your aquarium is to speed up the life cycle of the ich parasite that is in the cyst on your fish so it breaks free and becomes exposed to the ich med or is removed by regular water changes.

3. OP
    OP
    M

Maxi1Valued MemberMember

Thanks for responding, I guess I thought it should be speedier than it is... . So just keep doing what I'm doing?

4. endlercollector

endlercollectorFishlore VIPMember

How long did you keep the heat up during your first time treating the ich? Have you been vacuuming the substrate well to get the ich that falls off the fish? It's tough when illnesses pop back up again :p

5. OP
    OP
    M

Maxi1Valued MemberMember

I didn't use heat the first time, used Herbtana for 10 days. That time the spots were gone in 4 days. The med directions say use every 48 hours times 2 doses. So I am vacuuming the sand every 48 hours right before the next dose of med. I plan to use both the heat and the med for 2 weeks this time around. Also doing about 40 percent water change when I vacuum. Just hoping this will get rid of it!

6. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

You probably know this, but did you remove the carbon?.

7. OP
    OP
    M

Maxi1Valued MemberMember

Yes, I forgot to mention that. Thanks, though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice