More Ramshorn/algae Issues

Aquarista
More Ramshorn issues for my favorite Aquagurus:
1- found dead snails in a cloudy tank*, any realtion? Why would they die?
2- 2 of the dead snails were interlocked, as though thay axphicsiated (sy) each other, any ideas?

*Having major algae problems there with the green water that has now turned cloudy on the 'whitish/greyish' side

Thank you all

TexasDomer
Have you checked the water parameters lately? pH, temp, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates

SFGiantsGuy
It could be either a bacteria problem, or an aeration problem, per the "cloudiness". Maybe some more aeration is required. They have enough food to eat as well, or...?

Or perhaps it's an algae bloom,hence the green water turned cloudy. Or a bacterial bloom...or both. Snails are usually pretty tolerant of blantant algae blooms, so guessing it may be a bacterial issue. I'm kinda dealing with the same thing...1 dead snail here out of about 16...

Aquarista
Yes, I'm not a pro, but my intuition was to balance out maybe the co2 produced by the greenery with a stone oxygen diffuser? I'm gonna get my guppies and snails out ASAP just in case.

SFGiantsGuy
And yes, as Texas suggested, check those water parameters, as they are of the utmost importance, and should be regarded as priority one, for further determination of the causes.

Aquarista
hmm! ty both. any idea about the 2 attached snails?

TexasDomer
The plants will produce O2. They won't produce enough CO2 to kill your snails.

One snail was likely eating the other, or trying to mate with it.

Can you not test the water parameters?

Aquarista
Thanks, always learning I am ... I had algae green water last week, covered the tank for a day day/2 water cleared up beautifully, ph was balanced, then it went back to green ,,,and brownish this time, covered tank again for 3-4 days, but no change and found immobile snails, was heading for a water change, the ph was now in the 7-8 zone...so since this is my practice tank, I'm redoing it but this time still study more closely with newfound knowledge you kind folks provide...
plants do very well in this small 5,5g tank, snails are plentiful, and guppies are thriving nonetheless, I will cycle properly so I can keep-up on more subtle changes

thanks again

Aquarista
I thought snails were like no-sex creatures? will read up

Demeter
The interlocked snails where probably mating. I suggest mutliple major water changes over then next few days to hopefully solve whatever the problem is. I feel water changes solve about 90% of tank issues.

TexasDomer
How many guppies are in the tank?

Aquarista
1 adult female (the mother), 2 X1/2inch males, 8x1/4inch or less babies...I went witht he 1inch per gallon rule basically although there's a history to the situation, I would have put less, but nature decided

TexasDomer
The inch per gallon rule should be thrown out of the window - it should never be used.

The tank is overstocked, which would explain the issue if it's related to water quality. The males will soon start harassing the female, if they haven't already. Guppies should be in a bigger tank anyway though. Do you have a bigger tank you can move them to?

Aquarista
wow, I realize now why it's called a betta tank (5,5G). I have 7 small minnows and a 2inch pleco in a 10G that I was setting up today...I know what I will do about the space problem...my concern is more the harrassment of the female, which is continuous, thought it was normal, read that you separate them when the female is pregnant? I was reading up on all this in detail today, Can you suggest a rapid course of action regarding the females?

Aquarista
here's the betta tank redone...so far
P1070347-1.jpg

TexasDomer
Your 10 gal will be overstocked as well. What species of pleco is it?

Can you get a bigger tank? If not, I'd return the pleco and minnows.

I would rehome the female guppy and just keep the males guppies in the 10 gal.

Aquarista
Well, ty so much...I think the smart thing for me to do, is to spend the day seriously reading up on all this, before I make any more moves, things seem to be stable for now.

Aquariums are High maintenance*... and pet shops don't do the hobby justice; after all, who will tell their client: 'you better learn about it before you buy anything`. Anyway I knew what I was getting into, and I love it...so do my cats!

cheers tex, dem & SF

TexasDomer
Stable doesn't mean that overstocking isn't a problem though, and remember that many sites will give bad advice on tank sizes. Good luck!

Aquarista
oh I definitely took your advice on the overstocking, It actually fits my plans, gonna start a few organic bowls with the guppies and a bunch of photos we have around the house...

TexasDomer
What do you mean organic bowls? Guppies don't belong in bowls...

Aquarista
Hi, organic aquariums are interesting too. The bowls are pretty but they don't allow me to see the fish properly. By bowl I mean a 3G clear glass bowl, but anyway, I'm just gonna get another betta tank for the females. Have a nice Sunday!

TexasDomer
Even a 3 gal bowl isn't big enough for guppies (10 gal or larger for them).

Can you explain what an organic aquarium is? I've never heard of it, and I'm just curious

Aquarista
PYeah, you basically put aqua friendly house plants(pothos for example) with hardy fish.--->the fish excrements fertilize the plants, the house plant roots are excellent for filtering Ammonia it is said, you put snail(s) and voilà...this comes to me from an experienced aquascapist, who has never lost a guppy by doing this. <--- their angle is the guppies fertilize the plants, that's the aquascapist's objective.

Another version is the bleeding heart ecologist version, a regular rectangular tank with a load of snails and guppies, he didn'T have no house plants in it, and his tank was completely green with suspended algae but everything was thriving...he's the one I got the organic aquarium name from. Their objective is not necessarily divertisement, but proving a point.

personally, I like to see the fish's colors...not just their shadow or outline, which is what the organic tank does because of the algae.

I think my fishies are okay in our little family, the cats just love them...CAT-TV we call it. And my wife and I share the hobby, which is sometimes better than marriage counselling. (She laughed when she read this)

Hope this gives you an idea, but other's may go into more depth on the subject.

Good Sunday to you...

TexasDomer
Ah, so it's the same thing as aquaponics?

I never said guppies would die in tiny bowls, it's just not fair to them to be in too small of a tank. You could easily do an aquaponics setup with a larger tank.

The second tank setup is not a true ecological setup, but just sounds like green water.

Good Sunday to you too!

Aquarista
HiTexasDomer,

Got your point from the start about a quality environment for the fish, and agree. I had doubts about the aquaponic system. Thanks for clarifying.

Cheers

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Trekker1125
  • Snails
Replies
Views
StarGirl
  • Alexis Hooten
  • Snails
Replies
Views
Alexis Hooten