More Ramshorn/algae Issues

Aquarista

Reaction score
More Ramshorn issues for my favorite Aquagurus:
1- found dead snails in a cloudy tank*, any realtion? Why would they die?
2- 2 of the dead snails were interlocked, as though thay axphicsiated (sy) each other, any ideas?

*Having major algae problems there with the green water that has now turned cloudy on the 'whitish/greyish' side

Thank you all

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It could be either a bacteria problem, or an aeration problem, per the "cloudiness". Maybe some more aeration is required. They have enough food to eat as well, or...?

Or perhaps it's an algae bloom,hence the green water turned cloudy. Or a bacterial bloom...or both. Snails are usually pretty tolerant of blantant algae blooms, so guessing it may be a bacterial issue. I'm kinda dealing with the same thing...1 dead snail here out of about 16...

Aquarista

Reaction score
Yes, I'm not a pro, but my intuition was to balance out maybe the co2 produced by the greenery with a stone oxygen diffuser? I'm gonna get my guppies and snails out ASAP just in case.

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
And yes, as Texas suggested, check those water parameters, as they are of the utmost importance, and should be regarded as priority one, for further determination of the causes.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The plants will produce O2. They won't produce enough CO2 to kill your snails.

One snail was likely eating the other, or trying to mate with it.

Can you not test the water parameters?

Aquarista

Reaction score
Thanks, always learning I am ... I had algae green water last week, covered the tank for a day day/2 water cleared up beautifully, ph was balanced, then it went back to green ,,,and brownish this time, covered tank again for 3-4 days, but no change and found immobile snails, was heading for a water change, the ph was now in the 7-8 zone...so since this is my practice tank, I'm redoing it but this time still study more closely with newfound knowledge you kind folks provide...
plants do very well in this small 5,5g tank, snails are plentiful, and guppies are thriving nonetheless, I will cycle properly so i can keep-up on more subtle changes

thanks again

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The interlocked snails where probably mating. I suggest mutliple major water changes over then next few days to hopefully solve whatever the problem is. I feel water changes solve about 90% of tank issues.

Aquarista

Reaction score
1 adult female (the mother), 2 X1/2inch males, 8x1/4inch or less babies...I went witht he 1inch per gallon rule basically although theres a history to the situation, i would have put less, but nature decided

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The inch per gallon rule should be thrown out of the window - it should never be used.

The tank is overstocked, which would explain the issue if it's related to water quality. The males will soon start harassing the female, if they haven't already. Guppies should be in a bigger tank anyway though. Do you have a bigger tank you can move them to?

Aquarista

Reaction score
wow, i realize now why it's called a betta tank (5,5G). I have 7 small minnows and a 2inch pleco in a 10G that i was setting up today...I know what I will do about the space problem...my concern is more the harrassment of the female, which is continuous, thought it was normal, read that you seperate them when the female is pregnant? I was reading up on all this in detail today, Can you suggest a rapid course of action regarding the females?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Your 10 gal will be overstocked as well. What species of pleco is it?

Can you get a bigger tank? If not, I'd return the pleco and minnows.

I would rehome the female guppy and just keep the males guppies in the 10 gal.

Aquarista

Reaction score
Well, ty so much...I think the smart thing for me to do, is to spend the day seriously reading up on all this, before I make any more moves, things seem to be stable for now.

Aquariums are High maintenance*... and pet shops don't do the hobby justice; after all, who will tell their client: 'you better learn about it before you buy anything`. Anyway I knew what I was getting into, and I love it...so do my cats!

cheers tex, dem & SF

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Stable doesn't mean that overstocking isn't a problem though, and remember that many sites will give bad advice on tank sizes. Good luck!

Aquarista

Reaction score
oh i definitely took your advice on the overstocking, It actually fits my plans, gonna start a few organic bowls with the guppies and a bunch of photos we have around the house...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom