More ragged fins!

1. goldenrod1967 Initiate Member

Hi guys-Just as a reminder, my young albino oscar had been treated in a hospital tank with Maracyn/Maracyn 2, although I wasn't sure if what he had was actually rot- he looked like he was really healing well, so after his course of treatment I returned him to his tank. Now more,deeper tearing is present...he and my large silver dollar always pick at each other- could it just be injuries? If further treatment is needed, I was also wondering- I picked up some antibiotic food a while ago- could I try that instead of the stress of moving him to a hospital tank again? I'm confused and don't know what to do since I dont' really know what the problem is!! Thanks for any suggestions anyone can give me!!

2. goldenrod1967 Initiate Member

Additionally, all levels (ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, pH), temp and aeration are good and there is no sign of anything on the pleco or silver dollar, and the oscar himself shows no sign of illness other than the torn fins- he's swimming and eating well....

3. Marc Well Known Member Member

Do you have any decorations which could possibly tear it's fins? Other than that it could just be from the fighting. Not sure what else it could be.

4. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

For how long did you treat the fish? Sometimes treating fish for a length of time indicated on a medication's label is not enough - sometimes you have to repeat the treatment twice or even three times (of course with appropriate water changes after each medication cycle). Did the fish appear completely healed before you finished treating it?

If nothing works to treat the fish, perhaps try a simple salt treatment.

5. goldenrod1967 Initiate Member

There's really nothing other than the other fish that could have caused torn fins in the tank....There's only a cave-like piece where the pleco likes to hang out, but the others pretty much leave it alone, and a small skull (my son's addition!!! ::) which is smooth...I treated Willow for 1 cycle of the 5 day treatment and the area was healed when I moved him back. I did add salt and a little Stress Coat during my regular water change yesterday. Any thoughts on the antibiotic food? Not sure if that's an appropriate treatment for that particular condition.

6. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Often times the disease is still there although it's not visible to the naked eye. I honestly have no idea about antibiotic foods. Gunnie! Carol! Help! (LOL) Maybe try providing more hiding spots in your tank.