More Questions For My 75 Gallon Cichlid Tank Important

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by CelticSJU, May 30, 2019.

1. CelticSJUValued MemberMember

Hi,

I have a 75 gallon Peacock and Hap Tank. I currently have eight fish in there. I am using a sand substrate and I make several rock structures out of slate. I have a Seachem Tidal 110 as my HOB filter. I am also looking into getting a sponge filter.

I have numerous questions about my tank to make it better. Please answer all of them lol :)

1) I purchased filter floss. I put it in my media basket. Sponge is on the bottom, then the filter floss and then the media bags. How do i know if it is working? Water still looks a bit cloudy. Any suggestions on what I can do?
    2) Is it useful to put a sponge on the intake of my HOB filter? Does that do anything or would it just harm the filter?
    3) How can I make my tank seem more full? Any suggestions? I have attatched pictures below :)
    4) My water parameters are:
    Ammonia: .50 PPM
    Nitrites: 2/5 PPM
    Nitrates 5.0 PPM

What does that mean in terms of my cycle?

** I have a second Seachem Tidal 110 coming in the mail to help with filtration. Pic One.jpgPic 2.jpgPic 3.jpg

2. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

Ok first you need a 50% water change ASAP. Whenever your reading anything above .25 ammonia change water. Any nitrites changes water.
    How long has the tank been running? How long have the Gish been in it?
    A cheap 2nd filter that I use 2E655741-C04D-43DA-85FB-B4BD3A44AC62.png

3. DonthemonWell Known MemberMember

B8BDA574-C044-4CC0-83AA-9EB1BB44BD0B.jpeg Yup, tank not cycled. Then add a big pile of rock to your tank to get something with some height. Maybe a log also.

4. CelticSJUValued MemberMember

The fish have been around for about 2 weeks now. I use seachem prime everyday so it detoxifies the ammonia and nitrites. Tank is still cycling but I think it will be done soon :)
    Does anyone use filter floss? I put some in my HOB and now I see strands of it coming out of the filter. I was trying to polish my water, but somehow this made it worse lol

Please keep giving me advice. I am a cichlid noob

5. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

I have the same filter and set it up the same way. May be you don’t have enough media on top of the floss. Floss bought at lfs ? Your water is clouded because of a bacterial bloom. It will go away on its own. He often do you change the water? Fish in cycling needs water changes.
    The filter I showed you s a sponge filter run with a power head.

6. CelticSJUValued MemberMember

I bought the floss at the LFS. I have been doing daily water changes. Is the bacteria bloom a good thing because jt will help finish the cycle

7. DonthemonWell Known MemberMember

If you have the bucks get a canister filter. It was the best thing I did for my tanks. Then I added a marine land polishing filter. Crystal clear water and it also gives good water circulation.

8. CelticSJUValued MemberMember

I had an eheim canister but it leaked and I’m never going back to one

9. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

Canisters are good but that tidal is a great filter. It takes a good 2lbs of media above the sponges.
    I also had a canister leak. But I just bought another one. Going to use it on a 125 I’m waiting for.
    Yes you can put a sponge over the intake of the tidal. Just rinse the sponge out weekly and you’ll probably only have to clean the filter monthly.
    A polishing filter like your magnum really isn’t a everyday filter. It’s used after water changes to quickly remove whatever is floating around. If left on to long it removes everything minerals nutrients.... they’re great tools and the magnum 350 I have has a regular filter cartridge you can install instead of the polishing cartridge.

10. CelticSJUValued MemberMember

I have a second Seachem coming in the mail. I accidentally dropped my fish a couple weeks ago on the floor. When the lights are on, he is a solid silver with a hint of yellow on his head. When there are no lights, I see his color starting to come back. Maybe Ill turn off the lights for a couple days