More Pandas Please

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by Swlws, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Swlws

SwlwsWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +638
    Experience:
    1 year
    I want more Corys, they're so amazing to watch, but before I buy any more I want to know what the prospects of mine successfully breeding are. I do not doubt my ability to successfully raise them IF I can find them at any point in the cycle but ultimately I don't want to wait forever just to have to buy them anyway.

Several points I want to hit on-
    • Firstly I would like to know at what age do Panda's typically start breeding and how will I tell if/when they started dropping eggs, from my observations there are 4x females and 2x males, the problem of finding the eggs is that I know what they look like from pictures but I have a messy tank with tons of hidden spots overgrown with plants. Are there tricks to finding the eggs that don't involve watching each female 24/7?
    • Secondly, lets say I don't ever find the eggs, what are the chances of them lasting without the meticulous care I keep reading everyone puts into them?
    • Thirdly, Poseidon is on my side and protected the eggs until they hatched but I am blind and never see the little wigglers, do they have a chance or will it be a case of the Hunger Games in my tank?
      • Hidey places for fry include a 1ftx1ft patch of medium dense stargrass and copious amounts of anacharis that float all the way down to the substrate on the other side of the tank.
      • Possible predators include an elegant feathertail Betta, 2x Pearl Gouramis, guppies, Ramshorn for Africa and of course the Cory parents.

Thank you for your expertise!

2. BRP

BRPWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +89
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    In my tank they eat they’re own eggs. Also other species devoured eggs.