More Nitrate Reactors, Matrix Canisters, And Hydroponic Filters

Tiny_Tanganyikans

Just a few more things I'm adding to a large community sump that I threw together over the weekend.
20170530_221822.jpg

The large 3 pipe connection is 2' sections of 3" PVC it's filled with a mixture of lavarock and pumice, I will drill 2" holes for each 2" net cup I insert with a plant. The plant medium is matrix (pumice). It will double as another section of my hydroponic garden and a filter, it will be connected to an independent pump at 1000gph for good flow to the roots.

The small and medium reactor is a nitrate reactor with denitrate, they both are tuned to 49 GPH for optimal anaerobic bacteria growth.

The large reactor is a matrix reactor, pretty much an independent canister filter that has a 3100 gph pump attached in my sump for extra bio filtration. The sump is a giant mess and mixture of a BakkI Shower, a standard DIY wet/dry tower (2 of them actually) and it has several chambers of matrix, pumice, and poret foam.

Tanks and Plants

Looking good! I have high nitrates out of my tap and tried everything to try to get it down. I finally just got some pothos plants and I tell you what, it's the BEST way I found to help get rid of nitrates. Or I should that helps bring down the nitrates. I still have my sponge and canister filters filled with Biohome Ultimate and Biogravel I just installed poret filter sponges in them also. But what I think helped the best and most is the pothos plant.

Tiny_Tanganyikans

I have tons of pothos and propogate them in my hydroponic garden as well. I have dedicated DIY filters just for pothos in some aquariums. They definitely do a good job but the anaerobic bacteria that grows in the nitrate reactors so far is the best way i've found to reduce nitrates almost entirely. (Besides water changes of course)

Tanks and Plants

Once you have your set up done I would love to see some pictures in how it looks. Your set up sounds amazing and I am open to all new kinds of ideas!

Thanks!
Brandon

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Tiny_Tanganyikans
Replies
Views
Auroraspet
Replies
Views
Tiny_Tanganyikans