More Molly fry

Radcliffe

Valued Member
Reaction score
My black Molly just had her second batch of fry! So cute, really, just so cute. This time I count 9, but there may well be more hiding out. The babies are all black this time, which is too bad. My favorite from the first ones are the one that is white with big black spots, and the one that is a yellowish orange with black spots. They were just there, free swimming, this morning. I wonder if any got eaten, but 9 is plenty!

I am still loving the fish tanks, they are a source of endless entertainment. Now I get to watch and count, and perhaps the other fully grown molly will be next- silver lyretail. I have a really good lfs that is family owned that will take the fry once they are grown, and empty tanks, so yay! Baby fish!!!

I am giving serious thought to trying to breed other kinds at some point, I just love the babies so much!

Bonochick

Well Known Member
Reaction score
That sounds so cute!

hamstermann

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'm jealous! I can't wait til my Mollys and Platys start having kids!

Radcliffe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Oh you will love it when they do! I will warn though, the absolute sweetness of having baby fish can start multiple tank syndrome bigtime!!!

Let us know when you find your first baby fish :)

--R

hamstermann

Valued Member
Reaction score
Our first fry were born yesterday! my wife counted 10 yesterday and only 5 today, but we're sure the other 5 are hiding somewhere in there and we just can't see them. I'm fairly certain that they weren't eaten since we've been giving thanksgiving sized meals ever since we saw the fry. we figure if we overfeed then the fish aren't hungry enough to eat the fry. We don't know, however if the fry are molly or platy fry. They all have kind of an orange tint to them. how soon until we can see their markings to tell what they are?

Radcliffe

Valued Member
Reaction score
I am not sure, I have never had Platy fry. My molly fry look molly shape in about a week or so. The second batch looked more fully formed at birth than the first. One of my molly babies (from black molly mother) is a bit orange, with black spots and stripes on its tail- so who knows! I just love having baby fish, here's to hoping yours grow up healthy and strong!

--R

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
How long did it take them to get their final colour? Mine are a week old and all but 2 are still transparent. The 2 ones are black (my favorite, as I don't have black mollies in my tank!) and am hoping they'll stay that way. They're starting to visibly eat (as in their mouth is big enough for me to see them eat) and that's really cute.

Radcliffe

Valued Member
Reaction score
The Molly fry I have have kept their initial color. The one I had that was kinda grey/transparent is still about the same. Transparent fins, and a dark grey dusting over white kind of color.

It took about two months for me to be able to tell gender on the first batch, though I think it will take less time for the second as they were far more developed when they were born. It is especially amusing to watch the mating choices of the molly/platy/swordtail in th community tank. They don't seem to mind much what the species is, they will try to mate across lines. Seems I am inadvertently breeding my own master race of neat looking fish :)

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Wow, that would be interesting (if they kept their current colour). Most of my fry is transparent grey, but with a white face. Great Am sure they can't stay transparent though. I guess transparent will become white? When they stop being transparent is one of the ways in which you could tell you could release them back in the main tank - I read somewhere on this forum. No idea how long this takes though. Yours are 2 months old and it's still not happened? Why is nature sooooo slow?

Radcliffe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Oh mine are in the main tank now, just still kinda clear. Clear fins, even on the boy, who is clearly a boy and starting to try to mate. I have not had problems with my fry being eaten, I have the original 6, and 9 from the second batch. I can try to get photos of them if it would help :)

--R

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Photos would be great! I love fry photos!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom