Question More Important Filter Inserts?

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
friend has a aquaclear 70 as is looking to replace her media which is currently foam sponge, carbon, biomax. my question is does it have to be those 3? I know tthe sponge is important , but is there a better combo to put in to the filtter?

thank you

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The foam sponge blocks in my Aquaclears work great.

I would suggest keeping those.

The bag of carbon is optional to replace, but as David suggested, some PolyFil or pads of filter floss is a good replacement in the middle section of the media basket.

The bio-max should not be discarded, even though Fluval's marketing suggests otherwise.

They do include a huge media bag, but only enough bio-max to barely fill it less than half way.

For $6-$8, she can buy a 500g box of bulk Bio-Max....

Pic shows the box of bio-max next to a media bag that Petsmart sells for $0.89.

The link Mr. David mentioned is now apparently a sticky toward the top of the threads! You can find it there.

OP
Nickguy5467

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Islandvic said:
The foam sponge blocks in my Aquaclears work great.

I would suggest keeping those.

The bag of carbon is optional to replace, but as David suggested, some PolyFil or pads of filter floss is a good replacement in the middle section of the media basket.

The bio-max should not be discarded, even though Fluval's marketing suggests otherwise.

They do include a huge media bag, but only enough bio-max to barely fill it less than half way.

For $6-$8, she can buy a 500g box of bulk Bio-Max....

Pic shows the box of bio-max next to a media bag that Petsmart sells for $0.89.

The link Mr. David mentioned is now apparently a sticky toward the top of the threads! You can find it there.
thank you, I will pass on the info, personally I wish I had the same filters she does, I have theaqueon quiet 50s, and those things are not very customizable imo. or at least that I'm aware of.

thanks again

New Threads