More Funny Betta Stories

genie

Hey everybody Share yours.

Here is mine: Cobalt is being treated for finrot. So I had to take his filter out. I put in an airstone to keep the oxygen good. He hasn't quite gotten used to the airstone yet. It is really funny when he tries to swim through the loops of the heater cord he gets swept up. He turns around to look at the place where he used to be able to swim like "what the heck-- I used to do that all of the time!" So he tries again, more fierce this time-- and up he goes again in the torrent of bubbles. It is so funny to watch! He'll take a 5 min break and then try again. I have to wonder if he will ever conquer the bubble current. He is a determined little guy.

Tom

That would be fun to watch. Here's mine:
When I was younger, I had put a betta in one of those 1.5 gallon fish bowls(not knowing that bettas needed more space) and my mom added a air tube from the pump to add some more air to the bowl, since it started to get stagnent on the surface, and all I remember is the betta always trying to fight with the hose. He would flare up and try and bite the tube but would get a mouth full of bubbles, so he would try and do it again and again every couple of minutes. Finally after a few times of a mouth full of bubbles, he gave up for that day and try the same thing the next day, this went on for about a week or so.
Tom

nmwierman1977

RJ must think I don't notice anything in the tank. I decided to stop feeding wafers to my oto cats because RJ has developed a taste for them. So, now I just feed big chunks of veg to them in hopes that RJ wouldn't be able to eat any of it. Well I put a big chunk of BroccolI in there the other night and I tried to do it real fast when RJ wasn't looking. he must've saw me out of the corner of his eye because he turned right around and went right after it. So, didn't that little bugger get a hold of it in is mouth. I told him he better leave it alone. And he kept trying to pick it up and was throwing it around as if it was a toy for him to play with. Yesterday I looked to see if it was still in the same spot that it was at when I dropped it in and it wasn't. It was gone. So, I looked at RJ and said " RJ where is the piece of broccolI I put in there? " He just looks at me with pleading eyes begging me not to yell at him. I couldn't help but laugh. Then I was turning the tank and I spotted it in the back of the tank. It was in the front of the tank the other night. So, I know that RJ probably was playing with it after lights out. This morning I checked to see if it was in the same spot again. Nope he moved it again. I know he does it after light's out because he knows he can't get caught then. He's a smart little bugger. I don't care that he plays with it I just don't want him eating any of it and his belly isn't showing any signs of eating it. I just don't know what I'm going to do with him. Just thought I'd share that with you all because my little guy thinks he's so smart and sneaky. Natalie

COBettaCouple

Hopefully I've not posted this one before :
Our little Aslan thinks he's the biggest tough guy on the planet and the other day when I was putting his decoration back in his tank, he comes swimming up to me so I stop to let him swim by. He starts to swim by, but turns around a takes a look at my hand.. swims around my hand and starts nipping my hand until I get it out of his tank.

He's a real mama's boy too - if my wife is near his tank, even if he's sitting there while I talk to him, he'll swim away from me towards her as if to say "nice talk, but I see someone better now, later!"

voiceless_kat

Cute story Nat..... ..do you ever wonder if none fish people read the posts in here they would be ready to get the butterfly nets for all of us?  Before I had Neptune and was reading here I was thinking "Woo, these people are extreme off the wall".. The jokes on me, cuz once I had him, within hours I was gone, hook, line and sinker --well poor use of words.  I told my husband I no longer would be fishing with minnows...............

They are adorable!!  As I keep saying..."Who Knew??"   Val

nmwierman1977

Yeah

nmwierman1977

Yeah, when I was first thinking about investing in fish again I was originally going to go back to having goldfish because they are one of the easiest fish you can take  care of and they live  forever.Then I saw those poor Betta's and I thought ," well maybe I'll give them a try." But before I did I down loaded an ebook and read about them. I can tell you one thing I'm glad I decided to give the Betta's a shot instead of the goldfish again. In the book I read about how they can have different personality types. I said" oh come on it's fish for god sake. How much personality can a fish have? All they do is swim around all day,eat and maybe sleep. Then when I got Mr. Red boy was I ever wrong and was that book ever right. He had an attitude and half on him and let me tell you he let me know. I will never doubt anything ever again.   Natalie

voiceless_kat

If your heart and mind are open to these kinds of things...........they are there to enjoy for sure!! Simple pleasures! My husband is now saying I am a little "eccentric" cuz he catches me talking to the fish, ( or the cats - or both at the same time) LOL. ( He is teasing, cuz I actually caught him talking to Neptune when he thought I couldn't hear.) : Boys!! Val

0morrokh

Heh I probably talk to my fish more than to people. ;D Two of my Bettas, Cas and Fuego, are in a tank right next to my bed--it's so close I could reach out and touch it while lying in bed. They're the sweetest guys ever, and always come to the front of the tank to listen to me (that is, when they're not busy flirting with each other).

Their only fault is that they're both too impatient when it comes to feeding time. Today I was taking too long to drop the bloodworm, so Fuego jumped right out of the water, trying to grab it from my hand. Usually it's Cas who likes to launch herself at me, so it was funny seeing Fuego doing it. Shouldn't have ever taught them to hand feed...now they think hand = food, whether or not I'm hand feeding them. Cas practically eats my hand alive whenever I do water changes (and Fuego's side is too crowded with plants to fit the siphon into his side).

COBettaCouple

0morrokh said:
Heh I probably talk to my fish more than to people. ;D Two of my Bettas, Cas and Fuego, are in a tank right next to my bed--it's so close I could reach out and touch it while lying in bed. They're the sweetest guys ever, and always come to the front of the tank to listen to me (that is, when they're not busy flirting with each other).

Their only fault is that they're both too impatient when it comes to feeding time. Today I was taking too long to drop the bloodworm, so Fuego jumped right out of the water, trying to grab it from my hand. Usually it's Cas who likes to launch herself at me, so it was funny seeing Fuego doing it. Shouldn't have ever taught them to hand feed...now they think hand = food, whether or not I'm hand feeding them. Cas practically eats my hand alive whenever I do water changes (and Fuego's side is too crowded with plants to fit the siphon into his side).
LOL.. I hear you there. I talk to our Bettas like that & love having Angel's hex tank right next to the bed. Does Fuego also sort of poke his nose above the surface a little when waiting for food? He sounds like Aslan in his impatience and when Aslan is being fed, as soon as he's done with a flake or pellet, he'll poke his nose up above the surface to say "more, more!".

COBettaCouple

Our little Sora who's so good natured he doesn't flare at mirrors even finally flared yesterday - at my finger. he was upset there was no food on it so he swam around in a circle flaring at my finger.

cherryrose

That is so funny! He must have been telling you off for not giving him a little extra food.

CherryRose

COBettaCouple

cherryrose said:
That is so funny! He must have been telling you off for not giving him a little extra food.
CherryRose
Exactly.. tells you a lot about betta priorities. He's ok with another betta in his sight, but a finger without food! NOT acceptible! It probably helped that he's been fasting this weekend after a bad constipation time.

genie

Ok-- I was playing with Lila (my friends think I'm crazy). I had my finger in the tank and was chasing her and then sitting still until she would come up and "tag" me-- well I quit and she wasn't ready. She started shoving gravel against the side of the tank making noise. She is so cute! It was like she was saying "hey I am not done playing here!"

COBettaCouple

Genie said:
Ok-- I was playing with Lila (my friends think I'm crazy). I had my finger in the tank and was chasing her and then sitting still until she would come up and "tag" me-- well I quit and she wasn't ready. She started shoving gravel against the side of the tank making noise. She is so cute! It was like she was saying "hey I am not done playing here!"
lol.. can we have lila, please?!?!?!?!?! what a little cutie!

aslan attacked me again last night.. he was eating up attention my wife was giving him and I stuck my finger in the tank behind him.. WHOA! he shot around and tore into me big time.. lol.. he was all over me!

genie

Lila is all mine-- lol. She is way too cute. Now I have another betta baby girl. She needs a name.

COBettaCouple

Genie said:
Lila is all mine-- lol. She is way too cute. Now I have another betta baby girl. She needs a name.
another betta female? did I miss a post? I don't remember you getting another one after lila. maybe it's just been a long day, but when did you get her? what colors is she? I still haven't gotten to new posts, so maybe that's what i'm missing.

genie

another betta female?  did I miss a post? I don't remember you getting another one after lila.  maybe it's just been a long day, but when did you get her?  what colors is she?  I still haven't gotten to new posts, so maybe that's what i'm missing.
Yeah-- yesterday I went to Wal-Mart to get some HikarI Betta Bio Gold for spike, the Wardley pellets were too big. She was the only female in a sea of males. She is a crown tail. Her color is faded, but her body is white-ish and her fins are redish. I am hoping she will color up after I feed her quality food. Also she has a small tear in one of her fins so I am treating her. I couldn't bear the thought of some child getting her and her suffering.

COBettaCouple

yea.. some friends of my wife's family ignored our advice on setting up a nice betta and bought their little boy a beautiful combtail male. He was dead in his unheated, unfiltered vase within a week. and their daughter got one also, put him in one of those 1.5g tanks with no heater and just an airstone that badly needed a gang valve to control the high air flow. Betta starved to death after just lying on the bottom from day 1. i'm glad you rescued that little crowntail.

COBettaCouple

For about a month now, the plants in aslan's tank seem to be losing ends off of leaves at random. A couple days ago, we caught him in the act! He didn't know we were watching and we saw him swim over to a plant, under the end of a long leaf, watching it move back & forth a little in the current and suddenly he just tore into that thing like it was his worst enemy.. ripped the end clean off. Then he noticed us watching and swam away like nothing had happened. Now we see him look over our way whenever he's by his big plant.

genie

LOL! caught red finned!

Jendayi

It seems like both my boys enjoy squeezing themselves in and through the smallest possible places - behind the filter or heater, through plant leaves, etc. Yesterday Cujo squeezed himself thru the smallest space in his little rubber anemone. I wish I had had the camera ready for that one, but I didn't... But I did catch him down in his plant through an unlikely space:

Peekaboo!

genie

JendayI said:
It seems like both my boys enjoy squeezing themselves in and through the smallest possible places - behind the filter or heater, through plant leaves, etc. Yesterday Cujo squeezed himself thru the smallest space in his little rubber anemone. I wish I had had the camera ready for that one, but I didn't... But I did catch him down in his plant through an unlikely space:

Peekaboo!
Spike does that too. It is kinda like a cat-- finding small spaces to crawl into.

COBettaCouple

So true.. it's definitely a betta-thing to see how small a spot they can go thru. we've rejected decor for that reason, figuring the holes would be big enough to tempt our bettas but small enough to get them stuck.

PrayforMojo

This is a true testimony to how durable bettas are. I brought home a new tank and put a card shaped like a fish saying I would pay for the resident as a present for my girlfriend. We went out and rescued one the fish from the store and set up his new tank and had some water saved from a bigger tank already cycled. The fish was happy happy happy and we left him alone. Three hours later our roommate walked in to the kitchen where he resides and asks why the fish bowl was empty and where the fish was. there must have been a small fracture in the glass because the tank was empty and the fish was out of water. For quite some time I might add. I didnt think he would make it but my girlfriend was determined to try. She got a pint glass full of water and took the tank over to the sink so we could do the transfer and all of a sudden the tank bottom fell out and we almost lost the fish to the drain. He was retrived and put in the glass where he stayed until he got a new bowl later that night. he is still with us and strong. it has been 7 months.

mojo

genie

OMG! You should nickname him Superman or Hercules or something! I hope you got your money back for that failed tank (or was it older?)

PrayforMojo

it was a bad idea for a tank. and discount fancy pasta jar. looked great but not practical.

COBettaCouple

wow.. good thing the bettas have the air labyrinth, huh? Tough little guy to survive all that and be going strong!

PrayforMojo

yes very strong and this one seems to have become very needy of attention always coming up or to the front when anyone is around the tank. maybe it was all the extra attention.

COBettaCouple

mojoman101 said:
yes very strong and this one seems to have become very needy of attention always coming up or to the front when anyone is around the tank. maybe it was all the extra attention.
They're such great fish. Do you have pictures of them posted? We love seeing Bettas.

PrayforMojo

No I do not but it will happen in the next week or so. I may have a small school of cardinal tetras by then I will be excited to share pics. hopefully soon thanx.
mojo

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom