More Flow in Aquariums?

kellerjake2004

This may be a dumb question but after reading this thread: Do you Remove your Fish During Water Changes? | Cleaning and Maintenance Forum | 490881
I noticed that a lot of people mentioned their fish playing in the current made from either their syphon on the water being poured into their tanks. That makes me wonder if it should be a goal to create more flow in an aquarium. I understand that all fish come from different environments with different characteristics water quality, water flow, water parameters. So that being said should we consider the water current through our aquariums more when we think about the happiness of our fish?

AggressiveAquatics

All my fish hate the siphon lol. Even my flowerhorn who isn’t scared of anything hides from it

The29G

My fish seem to enjoy the flow. A-lot of times I’ll notice one or a few of my tetras swimming right into it like a treadmill. But it really depends on the fish I think. When I do a water change my neon tetras get scared but the guppies are all over it. I have to be careful not to suck them up because they just want to be a part of whatever I’m doing.

fallfever

I tend to worry about a current being too strong rather than not enough since fish can get exhausted and seek refuge when fighting it. As long as I have enough agitation from the filters, I feel good about it. Then again, I apparently have lazy fish. I have 8 inch fish I can't find when I'm using the python.

Jesterrace

kellerjake2004 said:
This may be a dumb question but after reading this thread: Do you Remove your Fish During Water Changes? | Cleaning and Maintenance Forum | 490881
I noticed that a lot of people mentioned their fish playing in the current made from either their syphon on the water being poured into their tanks. That makes me wonder if it should be a goal to create more flow in an aquarium. I understand that all fish come from different environments with different characteristics water quality, water flow, water parameters. So that being said should we consider the water current through our aquariums more when we think about the happiness of our fish?
A lot of it depends on what you are keeping. For a freshwater application like a Betta Fish, anything more than an appropriate sized HOB Filter/Sponge Filter is going to be a bit much. For a saltwater tank where turnover is crucial a much higher turnover rate is perfectly fine. Strangely enough my saltwater fish periodically like going right up in the current of my powerheads which push about 1750gph EACH (almost like a dog sticking it's head out of a car window at high speed).

Latest threads

Top Bottom