More Fish?

1. FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

I'm thinking about adding a few more fish to my 29 gallon and re-decorating it.
    Any suggestions?

Currently, there are:
    10 Platies
    5 Black Skirt Tetras
    2 Bronze Corydoras (getting 3 more, if the ones at Petsmart don't all have fin rot, since that is the only store with bronze corydoras near me)

2. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

I've always avoided livebearers and tetras in the same tank as the former want hard, alkaline water, and the latter want soft, acidic water. Do you know how hard your water is? Is it in the middle?

Hmm, I've had cory cats adapt ok to harder water. If you can get four more, of the cories, that'd bring you to a good number. They will shoal with other colors if you can't find enough bronze ones. I think emerald green ones would look very nice with the bronze.

So have your platies been reproducing, and are the tetras helping to keep the fry under control? Ok, one idea I have to keep the black skirt tetras from getting too aggressive is to add some other colors. Red skirt tetras would look nice, and 5 or so could provide some balance both for colors and socially.

3. Achilles Member Member

I think you could do 4 more corys. I've heard that different species of corys will shoal together (can someone confirm this?), so if your LFS does not have bronze corys, you could pick another species out that you like.

4. FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Nope. Mainly because I do not have a test kit, but it should be around 80-100ppm (according to the city).

The platies used to have surviving fry, until my hornwort plant died and now the tetras pretty much do all the work on getting rid of the fry. The tetras also have not really shown any aggression throughout the 8 months that this tank has been set up.