More fish or not?

DEADFISH

Reaction score
OK well i have an albino catfish (1-2inches long)
and a Dalmatian molly (female-2-2½ inches long)
15 fry-3days old, giving some away, keeping about 10ish
--ten gallon tank--
will my fish be lonely?
         also 1 of my fish died (2nd Dalmatian molly)  this morning, but it was 3 days after giving birth to the 15 fry.
         should i wait a little while since a fish did die this morning?
or what?!?!
HELP ME! PLEASE!

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It reallly does sound like the tank is not cycled yet. I would not add any more fish until the tank water testing is within suggested limits.

Rose

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Do you have test kits? If not, please get tests for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. I highly recommend you purchasing an Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Master Test kit. I'm not sure what stores you have available locally, but Big Al's has it available online at a good price. Then post your levels here so we can help you. Please don't add anymore fish until it is known what happened.

DEADFISH

Reaction score
The fish was extremely stressed and had velvet so after the pregnancy i guess...she had enough and the velvet killed her?
unless if there was another reason

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If I were you, I wouldn't be getting any more fish until I figured out what is wrong with the water. I'd really recommend for you to get that test kit (if you can). It would solve a lot of questions.

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
That's the thing.  Why did she have velvet?  Most of the time illness is caused by stress due to the environment of the tank.  So you look at the possibility of aggressive fish chasing them all the time, less than perfect water conditions, etc.  That's why we always ask about the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates, because it's such a common issue when you have sick fish.   Please post them when you have them.  

DEADFISH

Reaction score
how could a 10 gallon tank be overstocked with a dalmation molly and an albino catfish?!!?!?that's like..impossible!!!

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
No, its not impossible, especially with the addition of all of the fry, in an uncycled tank. And it also depends on what kind of catfish it is. There are literally hundreds of types of catfish and some get to be several feet long. So its very important to find out exactly what kind of catfish you have.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You also said 5 of your fish died already - so the tank could have been overstocked even before you knew it. It's not only the number of fish that matters, but also the size and the temperaments of the fish.

DEADFISH

Reaction score
" And it also depends on what kind of catfish it is. There are literally hundreds of types of catfish and some get to be several feet long. So its very important to find out exactly what kind of catfish you have."

all i know is that it's an "Albino Corydoras" they get to be 2"-3"inches big...
also i have no clue...but i think it may have been velvet but i just found my other dalmation molly...dead..about 5 minutes ago :'(
it looks like it had a very thin layer of dust on it, and also it wasn't moving much...but i also found one fry...in the tank..i'm not sure if it was from 3 days ago or from the one that died 5 minutes ago...

DEADFISH

Reaction score
Isabella said:
You also said 5 of your fish died already - so the tank could have been overstocked even before you knew it. It's not only the number of fish that matters, but also the size and the temperaments of the fish.
the fish that i had before supposed tobecome not big..max 3 inches i had some platies and mollies, but that was about a month ago when i go tthe tank then they died about 2 weeks later because when i went away the fish died from my sister not feeding them.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
OK, listen. First off, don't panic and don't get disouraged. All will be well if you just do some research and read up on how to properly set up and run a fish tank. Like for most of the beginners, this tank didn't work out for you because you did not know what cycling is, plus a few other important things. So what you'll do now is you'll read all that you need to (I gave you some links for beginners in another thread of yours). Then you'll understand why your fish died. Also, when you set up your next tank, this won't happen again because you'll know what you'll be doing. That is why this forum exists - so that we can help beginners

Now, you can do nothing about the fish that are already dead. I am very sorry about that. It seems they had velvet, which is a contagious disease. They got the disease most likely from ammonia and/or nitrite present in your tank. The reason you have ammonia and nitrite in your tank is because it isn't cycled yet. Now, read about the cycle. This will help you understand why you need tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH. I don't know if any of your fish are left alive. If yes, continue large and frequent water changes. Make sure the water you're adding is dechlorinated and has the same temperature as that of your tank water. I also presume the pH is the same. Do the best you can for the fish still alive. However, they will also probably die of velvet if they're in the same water as the sick fish were.

If all of them die, you'll clean the tank up to get rid of the disease. You'll fill it up with water again. You'll turn your filter on. AND YOU WON'T GET ANY FISH YET. You'll wait about a month, until your readings are 0 ammonia,  0 nitrite, and as low as possible nitrate, 0 at best. When you get these results, then you'll purchase one small fish. You'll add it to your tank and wait a week. Then you'll add another one, wait a week. And so on, until you stock your tank to a desired level (but not overstock). Ask us about the fish you'll want to add. For all of this, you'll need that test kit we told you about so many times. I hope that helps you.

P.S. The proper way to acclimatize a newly-purchased fish is not only to float the bag so that the water in the bag gets to the same temperature that your tank has. Temperature is not all. Don't forget about pH. When you purchase a new fish, yes, you float the bag. But in addition, you slowly add tank water to the water in the bag. I'd say one cup or a half every few minutes. Continue doing this for about an hour. When the fish has gotten used to the new pH, net it and release it into the tank. Do not pour the water from the bag into your tank (it could contain diseases or small snails that could get out of hand once in your tank). Also, it's best to turn tank lights off when acclimatizing a new fish. Even better, keep the room light dim. Once you've released the new fish into your tank, turn the tank lights on the NEXT day.

lokky.funky

Valued Member
Reaction score
That's a great advice from Isabella. You are so patient with beginners and your posts are very detailed and long. It is absolutely helpful to people like us.

Thanks that i benefitted from this post

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom