Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

More Fish For Tank Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Nano tank master, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Nano tank masterValued MemberMember

I had 4 minnows and a snail in my tank. Two of the minnows died but the other two had about forty babies which I left in the tank to see what would happen. Two survived and are healthy but still only about (roughly) 1cm long while the two big ones are about 5cm.
    One of the minnows is dying now after being bullied and doesn't look like it will survive the next 48 hours. I don't know whether I should get more minnows because I'm scared they will eat the babies seen as about 38 were eaten before.

What do you think? Thanks for any help.

2. PeteSteversWell Known MemberMember

I think if you get more, they will eat the fry.

3. Nano tank masterValued MemberMember

That's my think. Do you think I should wait a couple of months.

4. PeteSteversWell Known MemberMember

I would wait until they are too big for the adults to want to eat.

5. Magicpenny75Valued MemberMember

How big is the tank? That would make it a lot easier to answer the question of more. What kind of minnows are they? A few more details about the surroundings would help us help you :)

6. Nano tank masterValued MemberMember

It's a 35 lite aquarium. I have longfin minnows. I have looked but no shops seem to sell them now. So I would get white cloud mountain minnows. The tank has live plants and rocks and wood for hardscape. It has a canister filter as well. And a heater set at around 20°. hope this helps. [ ]

7. Magicpenny75Valued MemberMember

That's kind of a small tank for all the babies to stay in, but I don't know a lot about those minnows, I've never kept either kind. White clouds are nice, just make sure you don't overstock. Stress makes animals do weird stuff. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

8. Nano tank masterValued MemberMember

Only two if the babies survived. I'll only get the stocking to about 5 or 6 minnows in total. Thanks for the help/reassurance.