More Eggs!!!

Discussion in 'Catfish' started by amber0107, Dec 1, 2012.

1. amber0107

amber0107 Well Known Member Member

I lost my 3 week old cory fry last week so I was thrilled today to see about 50 eggs on the glass early this evening. What I find interesting is usually my breeding cory's lay eggs on the plants near the bottom and this time all of them were grouped in front of the output near the very top of the aquarium, so I'm leaning towards more otocinclus eggs this time. Last time I got about abot 15 oto fry and ended up with 10 that survived. I've lost a few over the months and now only have about 8-9 that have survived to adulthood.

I've successfully moved them to my hang-on breeder and this time it's on the main tank. I'll see how many hatch and what they are and might end up setting up my spare 10 gallon to raise them.

Wish me luck!

2. JDcichlidlover

JDcichlidlover Well Known Member Member

Yay :) excited for you. Good luck

3. nippybetta

nippybetta Well Known Member Member

Good luck!! Otto (or cory) fry sound like a lot of fun.

4. OP
    OP
    amber0107

Just did a quick recount. There are at least 80+ eggs!!!! Yikes.

5. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Oh Yay Amber!
    Good luck!

6. OP
    OP
    amber0107

Thanks! I'm very excited to see what they turn out to be!

7. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

Start working on your live-food cultures now if you are doing that, be prepared! And good luck! Hopefully you get 80+ babies!

8. nippybetta

Oh my goodness... I think you'd be overstocked if you kept them all :)

I hope lots of them hatch and grow up!

9. OP
    OP
    amber0107

I've already pulled some unfertile eggs, and my mom has a 29 gallon, so I can give her a few, but I definitely won't be able to keep them all if they all hatch....especially if they end up being otos.

10. c

corylady New Member Member

hey amber! glad to meet u. i breed corys also. trilineatus(triple-line) and orange lasers. i use 3-10 gal. tanks and 1 5. my adults live in the spawning tanks. both species lay eggs all over but mostly on plastic plants. itake the plants out of the water, sit on a little bench, and pick the eggs off and put them on the glass in th 5. after they hatch i suck them out with airline tubing into a little icecream bucket and dump them in the 10 gal. next to them. then they get a little bigger and i suck them into the bucket again and dump them in the 10 gal. grow out tank above them. i have 150 juvenil triple=lines and i'v just started the orange lasers. good luck!

11. OP
    OP
    amber0107

Pictures, just for fun. Nothing happening yet, of course.

065.jpg 066.jpg

12. OP
    OP
    amber0107

Let the hatching begin. 24 hrs, so more than likely otos for sure.

002.jpg

This is SO cool to watch! I've never caught them hatching before.

13. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

That's so neat!

14. OP
    OP
    amber0107

It is the neatest thing to watch them hatch. 20+ have hatched right now. I'm pretty sure they're otos because of the timing and these are much smaller than the cory fry I've had.

15. OP
    OP
    amber0107

Pictures of my oto/cory fry. Not sure which at this point. They're not clinging to the sides yet so until that point they're cory fry. :) Time will tell.

009.jpg 014.jpg 016.jpg 018.jpg

16. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

I always read that it was nearly impossible to breed otos.... Congrats if they are!!!

17. OP
    OP
    amber0107

I've bred them before accidentally with a betta in the tank...go figure. :) The only reason I'm suspecting that is because these eggs were laid very tightly grouped right in front of the output of my canister near the top of the tank and I have a hard time imagining my cory's being able to place them there without getting blown away. They avoid that area of the tank usually and lay their eggs on the plants in the back corner. We shall see. Either way this is the most fry I've ever had at once besides endlers. :)

Edit: I've counted at least 50 fry. I was doing some reading and it says oto eggs hatch after 24 hrs and are free swimming 3 days after that. These are very pale, so they're either my otos or my albino cory's.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  18. OP
    OP
    amber0107

I found another egg hatching this morning, a full 24+ hrs after the others. Another good reminder not to discard any eggs too soon!

19. nippybetta

Wow, you've got a lot of fry! Good luck raising them.

20. OP
    OP
    amber0107

Yeah, I'm assuming these are my albino cory's fry now that I can get a better look at them. I've got about 40+, so I'm looking at my options for growing them out. I have an empty 10 gallon in my attic that I might pull back down after these get a bit bigger. Right now, they're hooked up to my 45 gallon tank with one of those breeders that runs with an air pump. It's doing a great job, but I know they'll need more space.

I'm not concerned about bioload because my canister on this tank is great, but I'll have to do some more reading on what's the best set up. I used this same set up before with my 3 cory fry and they all died. I raised another fry from earlier with an in-tank mesh breeder and he's doing awesome now that he's in the big tank.

Anyone else raised lots of fry before? Is bare-bottom tank better or a thin layer of sand from the parent tank? If most of these make it, I'll probably won't be able to keep them all. My mom has a 29 gallon tank that's not fully stocked, so I can give some to her, and I'll keep a few to fill out my cory school, but the rest will have to find new homes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice