more bulbs= more watts per gallon?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by ivonko, Apr 6, 2012.

1. ivonko

ivonkoValued MemberMember

hey i had a question, i have a 30 gallon tank with regular flourescent bulbs. In various write ups people state that these bulbs have 15-40 watts. is that per bulb or per setup? if i ran 2 bulbs instead of 1 would that double my effective wattage? to 30-80 so i can grow plants in my 30 gallon at 2 watts per gallon?

thanks guys

2. escapay

escapayWell Known MemberMember

More bulbs does increase the watts per gallon total. So if I need 2 watts per gallon for a planted tank, then I would need 20 watts on a 10 gallon.

*edit*
    So you would basically want 60 watts total of bulbs for a 30 gallon. There are differences though if the tank is longer than tall. And whether you have T5 vs T8.

3. OP
    OP
    ivonko

ivonkoValued MemberMember

my tank is a long 30 gallon. what would be the better lighting system for me to grow plants? can i just run my normal flourescent bulbs for plants like java fern or microsword which are the more hardy plants? or will they not get enough watts from 2 normal bulbs?

im going to stick with the easy, hardy plants because im worried that i wont have the light to have the more complex plants yet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice