More Betta Rescues...out Of Tanks!

Carolyn Underwood
Two more Betta rescues from Walmart. One of them might not make it, but one seems to be perking up some.
I read a post in which a member had 25 Bettas in one tank. All these 3 gallon tanks (and one Rubbermaid container) will have to go. I have 5 Bettas now and will certainly buy more of them. All are males. If I have 5 males and want them in one tank, how many females do I need to keep the 5 males happy. (no wisecracks, guys...HA!) And assuming I will end up with 20 Bettas, what size tank do I need. Also, is there any such thing as birth control for fish?

KimberlyG
I can't see this working with male bettas. Sorry, that's my opinion.

Vaughn
There's no way that could work unless you had at least 100 gallons probably more. The other member you mentioned probably had a sorority with that many females and maybe one or two males. Could you possibly adopt them out? You could divide some bigger tanks and cut down on how many total tanks you have but you should never put male bettas together unless your tank is a giant and I mean giant sorority.

Mcasella
I would suggest you get a 20 or 33 long and divide it into 5 sections. The longer would be better, the 20 long is going to be easier to get a hold of. You have to make sure the dividers are completely secure and level with the rI'm of the tank, most betta are very good jumpers, doubling the dividers or placing plant blocks will help keep the fish from fighting/flaring between them.

Handelma
Female bettas can be housed together in at least 20 gallon, not males.
You could get a 20 long and buy tank dividers and fit 6 bettas.
Betta breeders buy 1 gallon plastic betta jars and use index cards in between to keep the males from seeing each other. These jars are a lot of work because of all the water changes and the temperature needs to be monitored. Additionally, this is only temporary housing because the bettas will not have an enriched life in a jar.

My advice would be to bring them back to health in a jar, then rehome. In a divided tank they could spread illnesses.

Bryangar
david1978 has a few female and male bettas in a 75 gal.

wrs2
Not to be a jerk or anything, but if you don't know about about basic betta care (can't keep males together, Or Males & females together etc.) and then say you can't keep all of your 3 gallon tanks - why are you going to get more bettas? Before you get anymore, I would really suggest doing some more research of proper betta housing. You can find a lot of betta care videos on YouTube!

Advertisement
Katie13
I currently have 4- 5g, 1- 10g, 1- 20H, 2- 3 gallon cube, 3- 2.5g corner, and 2- 2.5g tanks. Each tank houses a single betta. I'm also about to create a wall with 20- 5 gallon betta tanks. I'm starting on it this week. There is no way I could see your plan working. If you don't have the space to house them all properly, you shouldn't get any more.

Rtessy
Betta splendens males cannot be kept together unless the tank is over 100 gallons. Unfortunately, a harem tank also won't work with multiple males, and often ends up with a lot of dead bettas. This type of tank would only work with wild type bettas; entirely different species.

Carolyn Underwood
Thanks, everybody, for your kind advice. If the rescues from Walmart improve and are eating well and being active, I will give one of them and its 3 gallon tank to one of my sisters, who had a Betta that died about a year ago. She didn't have a filter and the bowl it was in was quite small, and she will be excited to have a real tank with a filter in it. I will give Richard back to my granddaughter in the new 3 gallon tank kit I got for him, and that will leave me 3 males, one of them not looking good, but a little better than it was when it was in the tiny container at Walmart. That will leave me with three Bettas, and I will keep the 10 gallon and 3 gallon tank that two of them are in and go buy one more 3 gallon tank for Betta #3, if #3 is still alive tomorrow. That is much better than buying a large tank which I do not have room for. From now on, I think I will stay out of the fish department at Walmart, because it stresses me to the max to see the Bettas dead and dying in those tiny containers and I realize now I am not going to be able to save them all.

Mcasella
Thanks, everybody, for your kind advice. If the rescues from Walmart improve and are eating well and being active, I will give one of them and its 3 gallon tank to one of my sisters, who had a Betta that died about a year ago. She didn't have a filter and the bowl it was in was quite small, and she will be excited to have a real tank with a filter in it. I will give Richard back to my granddaughter in the new 3 gallon tank kit I got for him, and that will leave me 3 males, one of them not looking good, but a little better than it was when it was in the tiny container at Walmart. That will leave me with three Bettas, and I will keep the 10 gallon and 3 gallon tank that two of them are in and go buy one more 3 gallon tank for Betta #3, if #3 is still alive tomorrow. That is much better than buying a large tank which I do not have room for. From now on, I think I will stay out of the fish department at Walmart, because it stresses me to the max to see the Bettas dead and dying in those tiny containers and I realize now I am not going to be able to save them all.
This biggest thing with wanting to stop seeing them there is to not buy them, I know they suffer doing this, but buying them only increases the profit the company sees so they will keep stocking the poor things as they know someone will buy them.

Katie13
This biggest thing with wanting to stop seeing them there is to not buy them, I know they suffer doing this, but buying them only increases the profit the company sees so they will keep stocking the poor things as they know someone will buy them.
Adding to this, I refuse to let the bettas suffer, so I save a number of them. However, cut back on the store's profit. Make a fuss about the fish's condition and get it at a discounted price.

Vaughn
That's a good idea, I'm sure they will be happy with their new pets! And yeah I know the feeling about Walmart bettas, it's so hard to just walk away but unfortunately we can't save them all. I have to tell myself that every time I see sick bettas for sale haha

Carolyn Underwood
I could say some really mean stuff about Walmart and some of those employees, but will not do so. Not everyone cares about fish like all of us here at Fishlore do, but that is no excuse for a big corporation like Walmart to be so cruel to any creature of any kind, and the big chain pet stores do the same thing...it irks me and upsets me...a fish is not just a fish. It's a creature with feelings. If it feels pain and it feels fear, then it has feelings. We all know what our little fish friends feel like when they don't feel good. Why can't Walmart understand that. I applaud your efforts, Katie13, for saving the Bettas....you are a good egg.

Katie13
I could say some really mean stuff about Walmart and some of those employees, but will not do so. Not everyone cares about fish like all of us here at Fishlore do, but that is no excuse for a big corporation like Walmart to be so cruel to any creature of any kind, and the big chain pet stores do the same thing...it irks me and upsets me...a fish is not just a fish. It's a creature with feelings. If it feels pain and it feels fear, then it has feelings. We all know what our little fish friends feel like when they don't feel good. Why can't Walmart understand that. I applaud your efforts, Katie13, for saving the Bettas....you are a good egg.
Thank you. I try really hard. Everyone here has their own opinions on the matter, but no matter what it's not right to let animals suffer just to make a point. I'm not going to leave them to suffer. I'm doing my wall of 20- 5 gallon tanks for the gorgeous bettas I find, but I think I'm going to do another wall with 40- 2.5 gallon tanks just for bettas that I find in horrible condition. Even though that many tanks seem absurd to most. It's manageable for me.

KimberlyG
Thank you. I try really hard. Everyone here has their own opinions on the matter, but no matter what it's not right to let animals suffer just to make a point. I'm not going to leave them to suffer. I'm doing my wall of 20- 5 gallon tanks for the gorgeous bettas I find, but I think I'm going to do another wall with 40- 2.5 gallon tanks just for bettas that I find in horrible condition. Even though that many tanks seem absurd to most. It's manageable for me.
That will be an amazing wall Katie.

12Cin12
I so agree with you! Its so painful to see them not being cared for. I've complained in the past to the manager and the next time I went, the water had at least been changed. You have a good heart but I've had to learn like you to stay away from the betta's.

Carolyn Underwood
Oops! Think I got this post in the wrong spot. This is for Katie13.

20-5g tanks...that's only 100g. Same for the 40. Are they all separate tanks, or partitioned tanks like you see in the fish store? How do you manage the water changes...also, do you plant those tanks? I am curious to know about your set-up. Maybe if the tanks are 2.5g and I can buy pre-partitioned tanks, perhaps I could manage 10-2.5g tanks, and if I feel I could take on more, then try to add on. I am limited on space and usually have a time of it doing a 50% water chg on a 25g tank. I fill it back up with filtered water, adding a little water conditioner on the way. May not be able to house more than 10 more Bettas in 5 gallon tanks.

Katie13
Oops! Think I got this post in the wrong spot. This is for Katie13.

20-5g tanks...that's only 100g. Same for the 40. Are they all separate tanks, or partitioned tanks like you see in the fish store? How do you manage the water changes...also, do you plant those tanks? I am curious to know about your set-up. Maybe if the tanks are 2.5g and I can buy pre-partitioned tanks, perhaps I could manage 10-2.5g tanks, and if I feel I could take on more, then try to add on. I am limited on space and usually have a time of it doing a 50% water chg on a 25g tank. I fill it back up with filtered water, adding a little water conditioner on the way. May not be able to house more than 10 more Bettas in 5 gallon tanks.
I'm starting on this little project of mine this weekend. The goal is to filter the tanks with drip irrigation which also removes the need for as many water changes. With water constantly flowing through all the tanks, there is no need to have to run heaters on every tanks. The entire system can be heated by a single heater. Each will be an individual planted tank.

Carolyn Underwood
I'm starting on this little project of mine this weekend. The goal is to filter the tanks with drip irrigation which also removes the need for as many water changes. With water constantly flowing through all the tanks, there is no need to have to run heaters on every tanks. The entire system can be heated by a single heater. Each will be an individual planted tank.
Thanks!

david1978
david1978 has a few female and male bettas in a 75 gal.
Well 3 males and 13 females. But its in a 75 gallon jungle. It was started and grew with baby bettas. I honestly can't recommend this stocking to others. The potential for failure is way too high.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
RSBettas
Replies
Views
aBettaNamedRoy
  • Question
Replies
Views
SeaGlassAnimals
Replies