20 Gallon Tank More 20L questions

Matt11711

Hi,
As someone else pointed out would happen, I've gone through a million ideas of what I want in my tank since my last post, so I'm looking for suggestions again. Does anyone have experience putting a betta in a 20L? The more I think about it the more I find that they look really nice, but I'm also looking for other suggestions of fish that don't mind hard/high pH water (8.0 pH) that would be a nice centerpiece. My cycle is almost done and I'm thinking I definitely want a clown pleco and some cherry shrimp, but I'm not sure what else yet.
Another question is: how many bottom feeders is too much? I just think bottom feeders like plecos, loaches and catfish are very good looking fish, but I don't want the fish to be crowded if all of them are on the bottom. So I was wondering if there is some type of guideline about how many bottom dwellers to keep in a tank.

So yeah right now I'm thinking with the pleco I'd want some type of small community/schooling fish that likes slow water like CPDs, and then either a betta or some other centerpiece fish, or some more bottom dwellers. Any other suggestions are also welcome! Attached is the tank as it is now. I think im going to have some red root floaters in there as well.

Attachments

• PXL_20210121_141726482.jpg
    PXL_20210121_141726482.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 15

TheFishBoss

Hi,
As someone else pointed out would happen, I've gone through a million ideas of what I want in my tank since my last post, so I'm looking for suggestions again. Does anyone have experience putting a betta in a 20L? The more I think about it the more I find that they look really nice, but I'm also looking for other suggestions of fish that don't mind hard/high pH water (8.0 pH) that would be a nice centerpiece. My cycle is almost done and I'm thinking I definitely want a clown pleco and some cherry shrimp, but I'm not sure what else yet.
Another question is: how many bottom feeders is too much? I just think bottom feeders like plecos, loaches and catfish are very good looking fish, but I don't want the fish to be crowded if all of them are on the bottom. So I was wondering if there is some type of guideline about how many bottom dwellers to keep in a tank.

So yeah right now I'm thinking with the pleco I'd want some type of small community/schooling fish that likes slow water like CPDs, and then either a betta or some other centerpiece fish, or some more bottom dwellers. Any other suggestions are also welcome! Attached is the tank as it is now. I think im going to have some red root floaters in there as well.
I wouldn’t keep a clown pleco in the until you can get the ph down to about 7.5 max and definitely not more than one as for the others that sounds like it would work and look good however I also don’t know about bettas they will fight to the death unless the are all female so watch for that if you do go that direction

Upvote 0

Matt11711

I wouldn’t keep a clown pleco in the until you can get the ph down to about 7.5 max and definitely not more than one as for the others that sounds like it would work and look good however I also don’t know about bettas they will fight to the death unless the are all female so watch for that if you do go that direction
It would only be one betta if I went in that direction. I had previously asked and people mentioned that most fish can adapt to different pH's as long as you slowly acclimate them, so I thought the clown would be okay. I'll do some more research though. And definitely only one if I do. Do you have any favorite types of fish you'd put in a tank like this?
I found a thread here that mentioned people had kept kuhli loaches in high pH water, so I might try that route instead. The question then would be if khulis would be okay with a fluorite substrate or if that is considered too sharp for them.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ButtercuptheOranda
10 Gallon Tank 10 gallon Community Tank
Replies
Views
HKsai
Replies
Views
veggieshark