Morbid fish topic

1. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I was reading a resurrected thread about someone's 2-foot Iridescent Shark, and it got me thinking.. sorry this is so morbid...

fish don't live forever... how does one dispose of a fish when it passes on to the great aquarium in the sky?

in the past, I've has my husband flush a dead fish. Is this bad? What about when they are too big for that?

*Sorry, Ken - I know you were trying to clean up the forum by moving threads, but I didn't know where to put this. Maybe fish memorials?

2. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

I flush some, bury others. Obviously I'd have to bury my Oscars...a little too big to flush. ;)

3. btate617 Well Known Member Member

Trash can for me......

Brian

4. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I have 4 crayfish that do the job.

5. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello. When I have a fish to pass, I use it for fertilizer in potted plants.
    Ken

6. CHoffman Fishlore VIP Member

I have my husband take care of it and I do not know what he does. I don't want to know either. :-\

7. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I have flushed in the past but now i have a great fishy garden for all those needs

8. meg1220 Member Member

I bury them. I've flushed them before, too, but then I became concerned about keeping diseases out of the local water system. I don't know if this is something to really be worried about, but better safe than sorry.

9. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

I bury them. They're great fertilizer.

10. Shadowbeam Member Member

There is a stream near where I live, and Iv'e only lost the one fish so far, but I took him down in a container and put him in the stream in a nice little secluded spot. Sentimental maybe, but I couldn't bear to do any less, and I'll be doing the same for my other fish.

11. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I thought about doing that with my first parrot cichlid, but was afraid of introducing pathogens and possibly harming wild fish.

12. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

I cover them up in my mulch plie.

13. Borisbbadd Guest

Flush em..............:;dk

14. Annadvn Well Known Member Member

Flush them if they are small enough if not they go out with the rubbish.

The hermit crabs take care of any SW fish that die.

Anna

15. scatty Member Member

Have flushed but will be burying in a pot plant after reading this.

16. titusxander Member Member

i usually flush 'em

17. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

You meant "potted plant", right?;):;laughing

18. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

when my fish go, if they were significant to me, i will bury them in my mums flower garden and then plant a flower the same color as them in the same spot

19. scatty Member Member

;D Maybe I do, maybe I don't..... :whistling:

20. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

lol...