Moray Eels

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by 240gordy, Apr 8, 2006.

1. 240gordyNew MemberMember

I recently got a moray eel and wasn't sure what to feed them. I have him in a freshwater tank with a small amount of salt in it. I tried to feed him sinking wafers but it deosn't seem like he's eating it. I also have some cichlids in with him so they might be getting to it first. I put in small feeder fish but just like the wafers, the cichlids get to them as well. So I am wondering if there are any owners of Moray eels that can give me some information. thanks.

2. atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

There are lots of varieties but I do believe they only eat live fish and invertebrates, which would more or less be only live food.

Austin

3. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

what kind of cichlids do you have with the Moray Eel? acording to someone who has more experience with cichlids than I do, the cichlids will out eat the Moray and it could starve.
    carol

4. 240gordyNew MemberMember

I have an Oscar and a jack Dempsy living with him. They don't give him any problems, I doubt they even know he's there. I use to have a salt water tank with a snow flake eel and it was fed from tweesers and would eat from it all the time. I just don't remember what it was fed. I'm not sure if that would work with moray eels either.

5. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Wouldn't hurt to try feeding it that way. Still doesn't sound like the ideal set up for your EEL.
    Carol