Moray Eel

Nata

Hi, I’m looking for some urgent advice please. I am trying to help look after a moray eel in the absence of the owner having to leave unexpectedly.

I have no knowledge about eels at all so I am looking for basic and ideally quickly advice to help keep it alive until someone comes to rehome it either today or in next few days.

This is what I know: it’s a leopard moray eel, just been moved from a salt water aquarium due to very poor water conditions, temporarily rehoused in a small aquarium with rocks and corals (which I believe may be dying), she didn’t eat a shrimp yesterday and didn’t want to eat fish today, the water conditions were too warm so have now been lowered, ammonia is 50 and Nitrates about 20, water hardness is high, it was discovered last night that she has cut herself on the rocks from her mouth down to her stomach so rocks have now been removed. That is everything I know, can people please offer urgent advice on what I may be able to do to help her???

Zigi Zig

Hello
I have Gymnothorax Moray Eel so I don't much about leopard moray however just read about it is this species can get up to (36.2") inches long and need minimum 264 gal tank if he was already in bad water condition yours seems not good either you should have water pristine and suitable first for fish before try to get it.. They dig up the substrate and move loose objects in the aquarium, so fastening the rocks and corals to the tank is a good idea. Moray eels can easily escape from the tank if not tightly closed. They can lift lids and glass covers, do not underestimate their escape ability.

Nata

Hello
I have Gymnothorax Moray Eel so I don't much about leopard moray however just read about it is this species can get up to (36.2") inches long and need minimum 264 gal tank if he was already in bad water condition yours seems not good either you should have water pristine and suitable first for fish before try to get it.. They dig up the substrate and move loose objects in the aquarium, so fastening the rocks and corals to the tank is a good idea. Moray eels can easily escape from the tank if not tightly closed. They can lift lids and glass covers, do not underestimate their escape ability.

Thank you. We were told that he water conditions in the current tank were better than the other as they were really really bad so this was an improvement but unfortunately still not the correct conditions.

Do you think is likely to survive another day in the current conditions and with the cut it has to its body?

Zigi Zig

Thank you. We were told that he water conditions in the current tank were better than the other as they were really really bad so this was an improvement but unfortunately still not the correct conditions.

Do you think is likely to survive another day in the current conditions and with the cut it has to its body?
I don't know Nata is hard to say if that be me I will try place the Moray in empty tank with pristine water parameters and place something like PCV pipe for fish to hide and see if get's better and I would try to keep water best is possible and treat fish there until get's fully healed..

Nata

I don't know Nata is hard to say if that be me I will try place the Moray in empty tank with pristine water parameters and place something like PCV pipe for fish to hide and see if get's better and I would try to keep water best is possible and treat fish there until get's fully healed..

Ok thanks, I’ll see what I can do. It’s in a salt water tank but I only have experience of freshwater. Is dechlorinated tap water ok for it?

Zigi Zig

Ok thanks, I’ll see what I can do. It’s in a salt water tank but I only have experience of freshwater. Is dechlorinated tap water ok for it?
So do you have it in salt water tank if you do so can you test the salinity level..

bitseriously

Is dechlorinated tap water ok for it?
I'm only following with interest, I have nothing to add to the conversation, sorry. But can you clarify if you mean "is dechlor tap water okay to mix saltwater from?", or "is it okay to put the eel in dechlorinated tap water?" I'm assuming you mean the first one, but just checking.

thesoulpatch

Yeah it will be fine for a temp housing situation . But not a long term. As the tap waters have dissolved solids in them and make the water quality go down every water change. But for now use tap water and ocean salt and use a refractometer if you have one.

Nata

I'm only following with interest, I have nothing to add to the conversation, sorry. But can you clarify if you mean "is dechlor tap water okay to mix saltwater from?", or "is it okay to put the eel in dechlorinated tap water?" I'm assuming you mean the first one, but just checking.

Hi, I meant tap water that I have treated to dechlorinate it but because she is in saltwater I didn’t know if that was ok but we went ahead and added 10litres of the water and she is flooding the best she has looked in a while so hoping she is feeling better.

Zigi Zig

Hi, I meant tap water that I have treated to dechlorinate it but because she is in saltwater I didn’t know if that was ok but we went ahead and added 10litres of the water and she is flooding the best she has looked in a while so hoping she is feeling better.
Well hope everything go well keep us posted ..

Nata

Yeah it will be fine for a temp housing situation . But not a long term. As the tap waters have dissolved solids in them and make the water quality go down every water change. But for now use tap water and ocean salt and use a refractometer if you have one.

Thank you, I haven’t a clue what refractometer means but I’ll google it.....

I have just found out from a friend that she bought Ro water today so I think the plan is to do a 100% water change, is that ok?

So do you have it in salt water tank if you do so can you test the salinity level..

Sorry but once again I’m not familiar with how to test the salinity level. I am new to looking after fish and have only had 4 danio fish 10 weeks! I’ve done a huge amount of research but realise no matter how much research I do there is always more to learn I gave a friend my testing strips and water test for ammonia but assuming you mean a test kit for testing salt content?? Unfortunately the person who was looking after them hasn’t left them in the best of conditions and was always using natural methods not ‘shop bought products’

thesoulpatch

uhm without knowing the salinity of the current water if you change that large of an amount change can cause the animal to go into shock and kill it. So really you need to find out the level of the water if all else for now go to petsmart or petco and get a cheap refractormeter or a hydrometer and test the water then make sure it is that level when you change the water. After that try your best to make sure that the water from the old tank and the new water will be roughly the same temperature. This way it best suits the animal and doesn't freak them out.

anything else I'll try to help, but stella1979 Culprit Nart Jesterrace

Nata

uhm without knowing the salinity of the current water if you change that large of an amount change can cause the animal to go into shock and kill it. So really you need to find out the level of the water if all else for now go to petsmart or petco and get a cheap refractormeter or a hydrometer and test the water then make sure it is that level when you change the water. After that try your best to make sure that the water from the old tank and the new water will be roughly the same temperature. This way it best suits the animal and doesn't freak them out.

anything else I'll try to help, but stella1979 Culprit Nart Jesterrace

Ok thank you, and I just realised my friend said ‘change 25 litres) not all the water, sorry. I’ll see if I can find that salinity device in the house to test it as here are a lot of aquarium items around..... I just hope it can be rehomed soon. Any suggestions on how to rehome it as the person didn’t come today?

thesoulpatch

take to the lfs see if they will just take it or possible store credit. other than that post on facebook

Nata

Just an update on this thread.... I’ve contacted the RSPCA as the moray eel got stuck and hurt and I have now managed to find a pet store that will have her and not sell her on.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
fishkeepinginaisa
  • Question
Replies
Views
Skrabbitskrabbit
  • Question
  • ZZMak
  • Eels