Mopani wood

fish 321

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Fishowner24 said:
I have been soaking Mopani wood for like a month and the water is still brown. Why is this?
Haha I had the same problem, your water is gonna be brown for about a year then it starts to turn more of a light yellow color.

ghostdawg

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The tannins (brownish color) simply turns the tank water a brownish color for a short time. Large, regular water changes will, over time, remove the brownish color and will maintain stable water conditions, which is what the fish need for sustained good health.

OP
Fishowner24

Fishowner24

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
ghostdawg said:
The tannins (brownish color) simply turns the tank water a brownish color for a short time. Large, regular water changes will, over time, remove the brownish color and will maintain stable water conditions, which is what the fish need for sustained good health.
so is it fine then if the water is brown I am soaking it in a bucket to get the tannins out.

OP
Fishowner24

Fishowner24

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
wishuponafish said:
The color itself won't harm the fish but keep an eye on the pH of the water; I've had driftwoods including mopani drop my pH from 8 to below 6 overnight.
Ok I have been soaking it for a while in a bucket and the water is still brown.

ValkyrieLips

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Fishowner24 said:
Ok I have been soaking it for a while in a bucket and the water is still brown.
You'll basically never get rid of the brown/tannins. Mopani leeches tons of tannins, but as mentioned above if you put it in your tank and do frequent WCs you can dilute the color.

New Threads