mopani driftwood

Discussion in 'Driftwood' started by Sly-Fox, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Sly-FoxNew MemberMember

just started boiling my driftwood any advice on tannin removal? it's about an 18 inch piece and I was wondering how many times do you think I might have to boil it to get all of the tannins out.

2. Matt B

Matt BWell Known MemberMember

I'd boil it for an hour, discard the water and boil it again for an hour. Repeat until the water you're dumping out is more or less clear compared to when you started.

I then let it sit for a week or two in a bucket of water that I change periodically but this step is kind of optional imo.

3. OP
    OP
    S

Sly-FoxNew MemberMember

thank you for your reply Matt at the moment I am just boiling the water gets brown and changing it. I've already changed it like 3 times and its still the same. I feel that this is going to be a long process, but I'm up for it. Thanks again
    Fox

4. SevenEro

SevenEroValued MemberMember

I have mopani driftwood, and i soaked in hot water and refreshed and soaked and refreshed for 2 weeks waiting for the water to come out clear! it never did! finally I just put it in my tank expecting tanin-stained water, but it's been crystal clear from day 1. one thing I think it did do, though, is lower the pH. all my tanks run at about 8.0, but that tank is now 7.4-ish. the only thing different is the wood, so that's what I'm attributing
    it to.

5. drewnation

drewnationNew MemberMember

Where did you get the driftwood and how much did it cost you?

6. SevenEro

pet supplies plus, medium-sized piece, clearance for $4. :)

7. drewnation

Wow, very nice!! What kind of tank are you going to put it in and with what fish?

8. Terra

TerraWell Known MemberMember

One common thread I've noticed in reviews and posts about driftwood is that people boiling it have this long week(s) long fight with tannins, whereas folks just tossing it in the tank after a cleaning have none. I personally have never boiled any of my 3 pieces of driftwood, and never had a bit of tannins. Maybe the heat brings it out :D

9. SevenEro

it's in a 29 gal with 3 small-ish comets. they're just inside for the winter, and in the spring, we're going to build them a ~1500 gal pond. our 150 gal we started out with this past summer/fall did really well, so we're inspired to go huge. they should be able to overwinter in it. long story short, their 29 gal is temporary.

10. OP
    OP
    S

Sly-FoxNew MemberMember

Yeah, I fought with my driftwood yesterday.... 12 hrs non stop boiling and no change what so ever except to the pan lol. the wood looks a little better but the pan took me 2 hrs to scrub and still isnt as clean as it was before. I did soak it for about a week before i put it into my tank but it still turned my water that tannin brown color within three days and its a 75 gal. So after some WC and boiling for 12 hrs Im going to put it back into my tank and see what happens. As for where i bought it i got it at petco for around 12 bucks... its not too bad about an 18 in long piece and about 8 ins tall.

11. outlaw

outlawWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to Fishlore!

I didn't boil mine. I soaked it a few days to get most of the tannins out. This was in January 2012. I still get water discoloration. But if I keep up with water changes, you don't see it for the most part.

In my 20Gal I have several medium and 1 or 2 larger pieces. I would just do water changes on the tank as needed.

Do you have any pictures of it?

Outlaw

12. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

I'm also one that doesn't mind the tannins/tea color in my tank. I think adds to the more natural look of the environment.

I have 5 XL pieces (store bought) in my 265g tank and 5 pieces in my 33g tank. (all Malaysian) I simply rinsed them in warm water and add them to the tank.

Adding Activated Carbon may help to a small degree, to remove some of the tea color, but it will not remove it completely. It just takes time and water changes.

starhanging.gif If you would be so kind, please complete your Aquarium Profile Information. This information will aid others with any responses they may have to your questions.

To access the Profile, click on Forum Settings in the bar close to the top of the screen. In the drop down box, click on Edit Profile. Be sure to hit SAVE when you are done.

Thanks!

Ken

13. kinezumi89

kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

I have a few pieces of Mopani. I ran them under water and scrubbed them with a (fish only) scrubby brush to loosen debris, then boiled them for probably three hours total, changing the water occasionally, and soaked them overnight. The water was still pretty coke/tea-colored, but I got impatient and threw it in the tank anyway :giggle: I didn't notice any staining at all.

14. drewnation

For Mopani driftwood, do you need to scrub the sap or sticky substance off of it or does that not matter

15. AlexAlexWell Known MemberMember

Just a note: When soaking or boiling pieces of wood, it will more than likely continue to show tannin way more in a pot or bucket. In your fish tank you have more space (usually) and if you are running carbon in your filters, it can quickly clean out the tannin in your fish tank. The difference is substantial.

16. LyleBWell Known MemberMember

I've had a small peice of Mopani in my 10 gal for going on two months now. It still turns the water quite brown between water changes (twice/week). I didn't boil this piece first.

17. AlexAlexWell Known MemberMember

It will take some time for the water to return to clear if you didn't boil or soak the wood first.

18. soltarianknight

soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

I boil mine for around 5-6hours total depending on the size of the piece and then weigh it down in the bathtub to soak over night.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice