Moor questions Help

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by aylad, Dec 19, 2012.

1. aylad

aylad Well Known Member Member

Mom's worried about her black moor again: it's been fairly lazy lately (which I always blame on the 10gal tank it's crammed into). Whenever it acts this way, it gets little soft-looking white spots on its fins.

It's not ich, which has sharply-defined edges (from what I've seen in LFS tanks). The edges of these spots are a little blurry.

Mom says it's worse this time than usual; she sees spots on its sides as well. I just had to talk her out of trying some random anti-fungus meds, at least until we know more.

Any thoughts? I don't know if it's a disease, if it's caused by inactivity, or if it's CAUSING inactivity. Any suggestions would be great.

2. Shine

Shine Well Known Member Member

I'd need a decent picture to feel comfortable saying for sure, but my guess would be fin rot. Goldfish, too small of a tank, likely issues with ammonia/nitrite due to that... Easy recipe for fin rot, which can be either fungus or bacterial in nature

3. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I picture really would help.

Sounds like something some of my fish get from time to time, though only on fins and only one, maybe 2 spots. They go away on their own so I don't ever treat it. I have never observed any impact on the fish's behavior or activity level, though.

4. OP
    OP
    aylad

aylad Well Known Member Member

I'll try to get a photo when I visit Sunday. I don't really think it's finrot, although she did recently have to go on a daily water change regimen to deal with finrot (we caught it early).

She is doing water changes 2-3 times per week now, and she doses the food with garlic guard. The fish is apparently healthy except for the spots and low activity level.

One thing is that we don't know how old the fish is (it is full adult size, or nearly so... ~8-10 inches), and it barely survived some pretty nightmarish conditions a couple of years ago (long story). For all I know, it is just slowing down with age and hard living.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice