moonlighting

brokenwing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok I want to start off and say thanks to navy scuba. With his help I rebuilt my light fixture, and replace 2 old magnetic ballast with 1 rapid start electronic ballast. big diffrence in lighting. So now for my post. On my 75 gallon I want to add some moon lighting. This will be for african cichlids. I have looked around at some diffrent options, but any opionions out there, I'm trying not to spend a arm and a leg in moon lighting.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have those little leds that plug into one another. They're okay.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Here's an article that might help if you want to DIY... I've never done this, but it looks pretty cool.

navyscuba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Brokenwing it was my pleasure been helpful in your DIY Light project. I have to admit I haven't try any moonlight projects but I'm curious about it. Seen many ways to do it tho. Seen people using individual LED's on sets of 2 and hook them into a computer power supply.

brokenwing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I read about cold cathode lighting, and powering it using a pc power supply which would be no big deal, cause i have some spare power supplies here from my last pc repair. But for my first time I think I'm going to order this off of ebay and give it a shot. I might experiment building my own though for my small 15 gallon tank.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That looks really cool. Keep us posted on how the project goes!

navyscuba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's perfect Brokenwing. Great find.

brokenwing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
thanks guys, i will post some pics when i get it all put together. I ordered my cannister filter, and heater a week ago, and still not here its killing me. I want to get this cycle started.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads