Moonlight 55 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by bolivianbaby, Apr 2, 2010.

1. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I'm wanting to put a "moonlight" on my 55g convict/jellybean convict tank in my bedroom.

What type of bulb do I need, where can I find it, and can I still have my "daylight" light as well? I'm confused on how this all works. I can change to a glass top if I need to.

2. steed1172

steed1172 Well Known Member Member

well there are alot of cheap LEDs that come in a strip that are moon light, ive heard that some people glue the strips into, or onto the oustide of the hood they already have, then just turn it on when needed..."moonlights" are just blueish, and or whiteish lights.(to mimic moon "colors") i know ive seen them on ebay,amozon, i think fosters and smiths new aquatics.. and "that pet place"..(That fish place, that pet place.)

3. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

You could use a low-wattage actinic bulb to get a similar effect, but you'd probably be happier with the look of LEDs. Foster and Smith even has some that are submersible, so you could keep the same hood. I've never used the submersible ones, so I can't comment on whether or not they are good/reliable products.

4. Morgan111

Morgan111 Well Known Member Member

I got mine (LEDS) in multiple strips for my 125 off of ebay and they have worked great

5. OP
    OP
    bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Thanks, everyone!:;group This'll be on my next list of projects. It'll be really cool to watch them as I fall asleep. You guys are the best!

6. Morgan111

Morgan111 Well Known Member Member

glad to help

7. steed1172

steed1172 Well Known Member Member

you know what ELSE moonlights mean?..hehehe

MORE NOCTURNAL FISH!!!!!!(and or inverts)

WARNING adding more nocturnal fish(and or inverts) may cause loss of sleep ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice