Moonlight

1. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Has anyone ever heard of, or seen, an aquarium moonlight? What purpose does it serve? Can it be used on a freshwater aquarium? Are there any moonlights available for freshwater aquaria? The light looks very nice on pictures to me - it looks as if a real moon's light was shining over a tank. I was wondering if I could get one for my aquarium. Any recommendations? Thanks :)

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

I think they are meant for saltwater tanks with corals in them. I don't see any reason why you couldn't use them on a freshwater tank at night if you wanted to. I don't think they'd be enough light though for a freshwater tank with live plants if that was your only light source.

3. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

No, I wouldn't be using this light as a regular light source. If I got a moonlight, I'd use my regular light during the day, as I am always using, and I'd use the moonlight in the evening for an hour or two, just for aesthetic purposes. I think I'd love to stare at a tank that looks like moon is shining over it :) Know any types of moonlights? Do they come in standard aquarium bulb sizes?

4. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

5. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Chickadee, yes, you have helped me greatly :) THANK YOU :)

As I was looking at the moonlight lamp you sent me, I found something even better, look:
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=9669&N=2004+113350 - this is a fluorescent moonlight bulb that comes in a size that fits my light strip :) Exactly what I was looking for. And it's cheap too.

And this: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=11379&N=2004+113351 - is the timer I was looking for. Thanks again! It can time more than one light, plus timing other aquatic accessories - all at once. And I don't think it's very expensive as for the amount of tasks it does (and since I'll need a multiple timer anyway)

6. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

Isabella-

I am so glad I could help. I spend a lot of time with those catalogs and pretty much know most of what is in the ones I get so I can respond to most of the things I hear of that folks are looking for. I missed the timers though! I didn't know your set-up so didn't know if your tank could use a fluorescent tube or you would need a stand alone fixture to add the moonlight.

Maybe if you have a camera that will handle it you can get a "moonlight" shot to post for us.

Rose
    :D

7. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I have heard of moonlights being used to observe fish behaviour after lights out. You know like nocturnal fish ;) Seems the fish don't notice them being on.
    Carol

8. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Really? It would be great to see what my fish do at night :) Only all of my fish are not nocturnal, except for my algae eater - it comes out both during day and during night, but it's still more active when the lights go out.

Carol, is it just any moonlight that fish don't notice, or some specific one? If it's any moonlight, and if fish don't notice it, that means they go to sleep as if all lights were out, right? It doesn't bother them if the light is on all night?