Moonlight Gourami: Boy or Girl?

RubberSoul

Hey, I just got this moonlight gourami about a week ago, and I'm thinking about getting it a mate... but since moonlight gourami doesnt have much info online about its gender, I was wondering if anyone could id this guy
So according to some sources, the male has an orange to red feelers and pointy dorsal fin as well as analfin, but for females, the dorsal is supposed to be rounded as well as the analfin
This guy is kinda odd, its dorsal is pointy but the anal is rounded, further, there's a little orange shade on its feeler as well as its analfin to the front.
I'm so confused, wish someone could help on this one
Plus, its tail fin is kinda rotted when I first got it, and now it is showing these white accumulations, I have been treating melafix on this one and its getting a little better..

IMG_7077.JPG
IMG_7086.JPG

IMG_7080.JPG
IMG_7074.JPG

Utar

That is a male, gouramis are really easy to sex after a certain age. The dorsal fin is a bit longer and pointed on the males and more rounded and shorter on the females. Also females are wider in the body than males.

Upvote 0

DoubleDutch

That is a male, gouramis are really easy to sex after a certain age. The dorsal fin is a bit longer and pointed on the males and more rounded and shorter on the females. Also females are wider in the body than males.
Agree. I'd sort out the finissue before adding another one.

Upvote 0

chromedome52

Given the size of the fish relative to the plants in the photo, I'd say it's not mature yet, and not sexable. Personally I would never use Melafix on a fish with bad fins, as I've tried it on two different occasions and all it did was kill the fish. I classify it as a snake oil remedy.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
  • Question
Replies
Views
Biz
  • Question
Replies