Monthly Filter Maintenance

JPH1970
My tank has been running for one month and it's probably time to do some filter maintenance.

I have a Seachem Tidal and in the filter basket, from bottom to top, I have:

1) coarse sponge
2) 2 bags of Seachem Matrix
3) 2 bags of Chemi Pure Elite
4) polishing pad.

Now I haven't had an aquarium in a few years and I can't remember what exactly to do on a monthly basis. Back then I had a Marineland filter.

From what I read, I'm supposed to remove the Tidal's filter basket and using aquarium water in a bucket, rinse out the coarse sponge.

Is that it? Being brand new, nothing needs to be replaced. The polishing pad can probably stay since the water doesn't seem to have junk floating in it. The water looks clear.

I've done water changes and gravel cleanings

Ideas?

Raygamerx
tbh with you unless i have carbon active i never actually "maintaned" my filter. well i wash the sponge sometimes like every 3 months or even 6 months. but then again i have low bioload so there isnt much mulm to begin with. i really dont think its necessary tbh

Betta'sAnonymous
Thats all i would do, just rinse it all in tank water.

JPH1970
Betta'sAnonymous said:
Thats all i would do, just rinse it all in tank water.
Including the matrix and chemi pure?
Raygamerx said:
tbh with you unless i have carbon active i never actually "maintaned" my filter. well i wash the sponge sometimes like every 3 months or even 6 months. but then again i have low bioload so there isnt much mulm to begin with. i really dont think its necessary tbh
Gotcha

Betta'sAnonymous
JPH1970 said:
Including the matrix and chemi pure?

Gotcha
If there is gunk on it, yeah

JPH1970
Betta'sAnonymous said:
If there is gunk on it, yeah
Ok...thank you.

I'll have to wait until my son goes to bed tonight and hope I'm not too tired :)

LHAquatics
I personally like to wash m filter media weekly because why not :)

Betta'sAnonymous
I'm lucky if i remember before the media starts clogging up lol!

LHAquatics
Betta'sAnonymous said:
I'm lucky if i remember before the media starts clogging up lol!
I only have 1 tank sooooooooooo

Pfrozen
I just rinse everything in my filter in dechlorinated water. Not sure what the big deal is with dechlorinated water vs. Old tank water. I get duckweed and all the stuff I removed all over my media if I do it that way lol. Not to mention the HUGE amount of mulm that comes out of my intake sponges

Betta'sAnonymous
Pfrozen said:
I just rinse everything in my filter in dechlorinated water. Not sure what the big deal is with dechlorinated water vs. Old tank water. I get duckweed and all the stuff I removed all over my media if I do it that way lol. Not to mention the HUGE amount of mulm that comes out of my intake sponges
The big deal is usually when people do such things, there is a bucket of old tank water right there, at least thats my guess. Hence, convenience.

LHAquatics
Pfrozen said:
Chlorinated water and old tank water are the same, but the old tank water is for free.

Pfrozen
Betta'sAnonymous said:
The big deal is usually when people do such things, there is a bucket of old tank water right there, at least thats my guess. Hence, convenience.
Cory04 said:
Chlorinated water and old tank water are the same, but the old tank water is for free.
Lol, both valid points. Fair enough :D

Betta'sAnonymous
Pfrozen said:
Lol, both valid points. Fair enough :D
And then there is me...i usually remember "oh, i should clean my filter stuff" as i am already filling the tank.

Pfrozen
Betta'sAnonymous said:
And then there is me...i usually remember "oh, i should clean my filter stuff" as i am already filling the tank.
Lol, same. That's why my 'weekly' filter cleaning usually happens every 2 weeks

mattgirl
I don't have a specific schedule for cleaning filter media. I do it when flow seems slower than normal. I clean it in water I've pulled from the tank during a water change. My plants thrive when watered with the water I've cleaned my media in.

JettsPapa
I wouldn't do it in a month old tank, but you can rinse filter media under the faucet. It takes prolonged exposure for the chlorine to kill a significant amount of the beneficial bacteria.

Pfrozen
JettsPapa said:
I wouldn't do it in a month old tank, but you can rinse filter media under the faucet. It takes prolonged exposure for the chlorine to kill a significant amount of the beneficial bacteria.
Ssshhhhh you'll rile the townspeople :D

JPH1970
Pfrozen said:
I'm lucky and am on well water

mattgirl
Pfrozen said:
Ssshhhhh you'll rile the townspeople :D
I normally keep this to myself since so many folks here have new tanks. :D

I am afraid they won't see the part about having a well established tank before doing this.

Betta'sAnonymous
mattgirl said:

I am afraid they won't see the part about having a well established tank before doing this.
Just like i usually keep to myself that according to science, drip acclimating is not a great idea as well.

Nopsu
I squeeze my internal filter sponge in old tank water once a month to clear it from mulm and scrub the plastic pieces and rotors under tap with sponge/toothbrush. Add one small piece of new filter cotton stuff on top of the sponge.

For my Canister I open it maybe once every 3 months and just wiggle every media basket and and squeeze coarse sponges in old tank water. Usually have 2 buckets of water one for rinsing sponges and other for the baskets with other media. Then add new filter cotton on top and close the whole thing.

Every thing is very simple and take not so much time to maintenance. If they get really dirty by the time you open your filter up just try do it a bit more often so it keeps easy to just wiggle and rinse in a bucket ^^

Pfrozen
Betta'sAnonymous said:
Just like i usually keep to myself that according to science, drip acclimating is not a great idea as well.
Yup. Better to plop n drop than drip water into a bag with 8 ppm ammonia. I do occasionally drip though, only if I purchase something locally and I know that the water is different. Shrimp should probably be dripped too. Other than that I have always plopped and never had a fish that didn't color up within a few minutes. My pencilfish took a couple months to reach full color but that is normal for them

jtjgg
i clean out the media every week during my weekly water changes. i have a pair of Tidal 110s, with the blue course sponge, a thin layer of polyfill which acts like polishing pad and prevents the Matrix and Purigen from getting all gunky.

the course sponge is vigorously slammed against the side of the 5g bucket multiple times, you'd be surprised how much gunk is in there each week.

the polyfill is replaced every week.

the Matrix and Purigen are gently rinsed.

JettsPapa
mattgirl said:

I understand, but I also hate to see bad information passed along . . . repeatedly. And I did say I wouldn't do it in a month old tank.

Betta'sAnonymous said:
It's my understanding that it's fine for fish or invertebrates that haven't been in the bag long, but for fish that have been shipped you're right. The ammonia that has built up in the bag isn't toxic until it's exposed to oxygen, so plop and drop is better.

Coradee
Let’s stop diverting away from the Op’s questions please, they have now stated they’re on well water so dechlorination is not an issue & no acclimatisation question has been asked.

JPH1970
Ok...so just let things go since my tank is only a month old

mattgirl
JettsPapa said:
I understand, but I also hate to see bad information passed along . . . repeatedly. And I did say I wouldn't do it in a month old tank.
Yes you did :D And I agree. Bad information needs to be nipped in the bud. Since this is a new tank, rinsing media should be done with care and only if it is needed right now.

Top Bottom