Help Month Of Fish-in-cycle And No Beneficial Bacteria?

milankosaurus

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have been cycling 10g tank with platies for over a month now (first platy added July 24th, then additional 4 platies over 2 weeks after). a week ago i got nerite snails to help with brown algae. there's is good size drift wood in the tank and 6 plants (amazon swords, java fern and anubia).

pH has been stable 6.6 over the whole period of cycle so far. temps fluctuating between 75-82. first trace of ammonia showed up Aug 9th and has been same 0.25-0.5 ppm since then. i used Seachem Stability for 7 days when ammonia showed up to add beneficial bacteria as suggested by the forum. had Ich in the tank about same time which got treated by medicine and water changes in two weeks. this Friday it's going to be 3 weeks of ammonia present in the tank. i have been doing 50% water changes every 2-3 days since ammonia showed up, but it never goes below 0.5 ppm. still no trace of nitrite. i use Prime to de-chlorinate water (added in the tank after removing 50% water and then i add tap water). still using same filter since i added fish rinsing with used tank water only. tap water is pH 7, rest all zero.

am i doing anything wrong or am i just being impatient? i have read on this forum that pH below 7 slows down nitrogen cycle a lot, but then i also read it's more important to keep the pH stable instead of desired level. asking because i read people are successful cycling 10g tanks in a month and mine hasn't even passed stage 1 & it has been over a month . platies are doing completely fine after Ich and don't seem to be affected by .5 ppm ammonia, so i want to keep going but wondering if i am doing anything wrong.

thanks for any feedback

Attachments

oldsalt777

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, I have been cycling 10g tank with platies for over a month now (first platy added July 24th, then additional 4 platies over 2 weeks after). a week ago i got nerite snails to help with brown algae. there's is good size drift wood in the tank and 6 plants (amazon swords, java fern and anubia).

pH has been stable 6.6 over the whole period of cycle so far. temps fluctuating between 75-82. first trace of ammonia showed up Aug 9th and has been same 0.25-0.5 ppm since then. i used Seachem Stability for 7 days when ammonia showed up to add beneficial bacteria as suggested by the forum. had Ich in the tank about same time which got treated by medicine and water changes in two weeks. this Friday it's going to be 3 weeks of ammonia present in the tank. i have been doing 50% water changes every 2-3 days since ammonia showed up, but it never goes below 0.5 ppm. still no trace of nitrite. i use Prime to de-chlorinate water (added in the tank after removing 50% water and then i add tap water). still using same filter since i added fish rinsing with used tank water only. tap water is pH 7, rest all zero.

am i doing anything wrong or am i just being impatient? i have read on this forum that pH below 7 slows down nitrogen cycle a lot, but then i also read it's more important to keep the pH stable instead of desired level. asking because i read people are successful cycling 10g tanks in a month and mine hasn't even passed stage 1 & it has been over a month . platies are doing completely fine after Ich and don't seem to be affected by .5 ppm ammonia, so i want to keep going but wondering if i am doing anything wrong.

thanks for any feedback
Hello mil...

Water changes for a fish in cycle shouldn't be more than 25 percent. By removing more water, you starve the bacteria and the colony doesn't grow. The process works by feeding the fish a little every day or two to maintain a steady source of ammonia. The ammonia combines with oxygen in the air to begin to grow the bacteria. You're supposed to test the water daily for traces of ammonia or nitrite. If you have a positive test for either, you remove and replace 25 percent of the tank water with treated tap water. Just test every day and change out one quarter of the water when you need to. When there are several daily tests with no traces of ammonia or nitrite the tank is cycled. Then, you change half the water every week to maintain good water conditions. The cycle start to finish takes about a month.

Old

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tetra Safe Start works great to help out a cycle. It has both ammonia and nitrite eating bacteria in it. If you get some, shake it up well and add some directly into the filter while also squirting some into the tank. It's great stuff.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

thanks for any feedback
The water changes you are doing are fine to keep the ammonia to less than 1 ppm. Cycling a tank with fish in it takes much longer than cycling without fish especially when your pH is as low as it is. That's because you don't have the freedom to adjust pH/ ammonia and hardness levels to speed up the process. How many platys do you have in that tank? Do you happen to have another spare tank/filter/heater nearby? Tucked away in the garage perhaps? You could put the fish in a bare bottom uncycled tank temporarily (and do water changes typ keep params at 0ppm) while you get the main tank cycled faster using ammonia, a bacteria starter and a carbonate/ bicarbonate source to temporarily raise pH while your bacteria are becoming established. Then you could return your pH to it's normal and transfer the fish back over once it's cycled.

HaydenLee

Reaction score
Experience
Just started

thanks for any feedback
Hey there OP I cycled a 20 gallon with 4 platy's starting on July 4th and completed on August 23rd... You know i might have gotten lucky, but i only thing I used was Prime when I did my 25% water changes (which I did every other day).... other than that I was just patient and let the tank do the work. I've never treated for ich before so I cannot speak to if that is the cause of your delay in Nitrite's showing up.

I did go through a period, probably around week 4-6 where I started to panic and second guessing myself on what to do....My father, who is an avid fish keeper and a big potty mouth, told me... and i quote "chill son, this takes time....... Rome wasn't built in a day and your tank wont cycle in a day either".
So honestly, if you are already committed to the fish-in cycle...stay strong

I like your tank setup as well.. It looks great!! Keep us updated on your progress and let us know when you finally get that bad boy cycled so we can all rejoice together.

Last edited by a moderator:

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey there OP I cycled a 20 gallon with 4 platy's starting on July 4th and completed on August 23rd... You know i might have gotten lucky, but i only thing I used was Prime when I did my 25% water changes (which I did every other day).... other than that I was just patient and let the tank do the work. I've never treated for ich before so I cannot speak to if that is the cause of your delay in Nitrite's showing up.

I did go through a period, probably around week 4-6 where I started to panic and second guessing myself on what to do....My father, who is an avid fish keeper and a big potty mouth, told me... and i quote "chill out son, this takes time....... Rome wasn't built in a day and your tank wont cycle in a day either".

I like your tank setup as well.. It looks great!! Keep us updated on your progress and let us know when you finally get that bad boy cycled so we can all rejoice together.
What's your pH @HaydenLee ?

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A steady 6.8 the entire cycle, I assume its why I took 8 weeks to cycle. @Momgoose56
Probably. Every tank is different. The lower the pH, the slower the bacteria growth. At a pH of 6 growth (replication) virtually ceases. Temperature, GH, KH, bioload and others all factor into cycling. My cousins tank, in Yuma AZ (VERY soft acidic well water) never cycled (over 6 months) until he raised the pH and added minerals.

milankosaurus

Valued Member
Reaction score
Not sure how you treated the ich, but if you used medicine could it have killed the bb?
i used Parasite Remedy from Petco. says on the bottle that it will not harm beneficial bacteria so i am guessing it shouldn't have lol?

The water changes you are doing are fine to keep the ammonia to less than 1 ppm. Cycling a tank with fish in it takes much longer than cycling without fish especially when your pH is as low as it is. That's because you don't have the freedom to adjust pH/ ammonia and hardness levels to speed up the process. How many platys do you have in that tank? Do you happen to have another spare tank/filter/heater nearby? Tucked away in the garage perhaps? You could put the fish in a bare bottom uncycled tank temporarily (and do water changes typ keep params at 0ppm) while you get the main tank cycled faster using ammonia, a bacteria starter and a carbonate/ bicarbonate source to temporarily raise pH while your bacteria are becoming established. Then you could return your pH to it's normal and transfer the fish back over once it's cycled.
i was thinking of raising the pH by adding aragonite in the bag in the filter media, but i am not sure if i just wanna complicate things. i have 5 platies and 2 nerite snails in the tank. i do not have any other tanks as i am new to this hobby

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i used Parasite Remedy from Petco. says on the bottle that it will not harm beneficial bacteria so i am guessing it shouldn't have lol?
It's unlikely that an antiparasitic affected the bacteria in your tank. Antiparasitics kill parasites, not bacteria (unless the medication in question was a combination antiparasitic/antibiotic).

milankosaurus

Valued Member
Reaction score

I did go through a period, probably around week 4-6 where I started to panic and second guessing myself on what to do....My father, who is an avid fish keeper and a big potty mouth, told me... and i quote "chill son, this takes time....... Rome wasn't built in a day and your tank wont cycle in a day either".

haha thats what i was told as well. patience patience patience. its just a waiting game i guess. its been over a month since i added first platy so i am guessing it just taking a while since i had to deal with Ich and doing 50% water changes a lot. i will be adding 5ml of Stability again this week and not do water change unless i see ammonia go over 1ppm and see if that does anything

Probably. Every tank is different. The lower the pH, the slower the bacteria growth. At a pH of 6 growth (replication) virtually ceases. Temperature, GH, KH, bioload and others all factor into cycling. My cousins tank, in Yuma AZ (VERY soft acidic well water) never cycled (over 6 months) until he raised the pH and added minerals.
that's what i am hoping i will not have. my pH has been stable 6.6 so i am strongly hoping it did not stall bacteria growth, just slowed it down . it would suck to start over again

It's unlikely that an antiparasitic affected the bacteria in your tank. Antiparasitics kill parasites, not bacteria (unless the medication in question was a combination antiparasitic/antibiotic).
bottle says "Herbal disease treatment helps promote relief for your fish from ich, velvet, saprolegiasis and trichodiniasis" and states its safe for live plants and will not harm biological filter

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i was thinking of raising the pH by adding aragonite in the bag in the filter media, but i am not sure if i just wanna complicate things. i have 5 platies and 2 nerite snails in the tank. i do not have any other tanks as i am new to this hobby
You can do that. It will slowly raise your pH and KH. You don't have to mess with it while you're tank is cycling and you can remove it once the cycling is complete. I advise you to test your GH and KH first though. You can get the API GH/KH test kit for around $8 at Chewy.com, amazon, ebay, Big Al's pets, some Petcos or Petsmarts, and almost any specialty fish stores.

milankosaurus

Valued Member
Reaction score
You can do that. It will slowly raise your pH and KH. You don't have to mess with it while you're tank is cycling and you can remove it once the cycling is complete. I advise you to test your GH and KH first though. You can get the API GH/KH test kit for around $8 at Chewy.com, amazon, ebay, Big Al's pets, some Petcos or Petsmarts, and almost any specialty fish stores.
ok thanks!

milankosaurus

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi so i finally got gh/kh tester kit and the results are KH= 1 °dKH / 17.9 ppm and GH= 3°dKH / 53.7

I guess that's a pretty soft water lol. I bought some crushed coral and will be slowly adding to raise it up. I have 5 platies 2 mollys 1 dwarf gourami and 2 nerite snails in now 20g tank which i read should have °6-°11/ 100-200 ppm to thrive

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi so i finally got gh/kh tester kit and the results are KH= 1 °dKH / 17.9 ppm and GH= 3°dKH / 53.7

I guess that's a pretty soft water lol. I bought some crushed coral and will be slowly adding to raise it up. I have 5 platies 2 mollys 1 dwarf gourami and 2 nerite snails in now 20g tank which i read should have °6-°11/ 100-200 ppm to thrive
Keep a close eye on your pH over the next few days. I'd check the pH every other day and the KH after about a week. You said your tap pH is 7? Coral can raise it quite a bit so just try to keep your tank ph around 7-7.4. You can moderate the effect of the coral by increasing or decreasing the amount, doing more frequent or bigger water changes or moving the coral from your filter, into the tank if your pH starts creeping over 7.5. Start with 1/3 cup or less in your filter- be sure to rinse the coral well under running water before putting it in the filter.

Last edited:

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Yes that is very soft water. Too soft for livebearers and snails.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom