Monte carlo planting disaster?

Jdk246

Reactions
Hi, ive just recently set up a new aquascape in a 30 gal with moderate lighting and diy co2. When setting up the tank, i couldnt really push the monte carlos in the foreground so only a small part of it is in the substrate and some are basically hovering. I think its because the substrate is too light and have large particles, i also had a hard time planting most of the mid ground plant(sagittaria,spiralis,etc.) After about a week, i saw that most of the leaves were growing upwards and not to the side like a carpeting plant. Is this normal? Should i try to push it more inside the substrate or is it ok?
Thanks!

OP
J

Jdk246

Reactions
For sure more than 2 cm deep, it becomes deeper as it goes back. Though the ones at the back of the wood are very deep. Im pretty sure 2cm+ is enough for the monte carlo to grow. So should i push the montecarlo deeper into the substrate?
RDcompton03 said:
Really nice hardscape
Thanks! It took me 3 entire days to finish as all the wood floated during the first day and i had to glue it on to the rocks.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Experience
3 years
2cm is really shallow for substrate and honestly you might have been better off doing a dry-start method with your carpeting plants first.

The new growth on the Monte Carlo looks healthy and green but the verticality is a sign it is not getting adequate CO2 or light to carpet properly.

OP
J

Jdk246

Reactions
Its probably because of co2 because i just recently started the diy co2 yesterday. Ill try to update as soon as i see progress

OP
J

Jdk246

Reactions
I measured the substrate again and the lowest is 3.5 cm(at the front) and sloping upwards to the back with the substrate at the back being about 10cm. Will i need to add more substrate or is this ok?

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Experience
3 years
RDcompton03 said:
Thats plenty deep for monte carlo.
I would agree with you in a dry start scenario. But in a tank that already has water you're fighting the plant's propensity to want to float up. Without adequate substrate depth, plants are difficult to anchor down properly.

RDcompton03

Reactions
Fahn said:
I would agree with you in a dry start scenario. But in a tank that already has water you're fighting the plant's propensity to want to float up. Without adequate substrate depth, plants are difficult to anchor down properly.
Not sure why you would need more than an inch and a half to anchor monte carlo. If you put it in that deep it will be totally under the substrate. Monte Carlo planted in individual sprigs can be difficult to keep anchored no matter how deep your substrate is. Fish, snails and even strong current can easily uproot it. The problem should be addressed by better planting techniques not trying to put in more substrate.

RDcompton03

Reactions
If you want it to stay rooted cover most of what is exposed you with substrate. Make sure that some of the leaves are exposed to the light. What you buried will become root structure and will put shoots out within a few days. And as said by someone else it will try to grow vertically if the light is not strong enough. WIth good lighting it will put out roots and grow close to the substrate. CO2 will make it grow faster but it will grow slowly even without it.

OP
J

Jdk246

Reactions
Im not really familiar with the 'dry start method'. Is it just basically growing it emersed? If that's the case then it will be even harder or even impossible as all the plants are used to being submersed or even cannot be emersed. So from what you can see in the pictures, will the monte carlo be ok provided good lighting and co2 or should i push the hovering parts of the plant inside the substrate?

New Threads