Monte Carlo in a 40 breeder without CO2, what should I expect?

andy305mia

Hello, I would like to know what kind of expectations I should have growing Monte Carlo in my 40 breeder without CO2? I have a stingray 2 for lighting and i dose Excel daily and Flourish about once a week water changes every 10-12 days. Just wanted to know if it was even worth trying, I have read you don't need co2 but from what I have seen it works in smaller tanks. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

LeviS

Hey, just trying to help you out as no one else has responded. Ive personally never grown monte carlo for starters. So take what I say with a grain of salt so to speak.
Monte carlo requires moderate to high light. Your light has a par rating of about 65 at 12 inches so its going to drop off more on a 40 breeder. The size of a 40b is very wide, do you run 1 or 2 lights? If 1 the monte carlo may struggle if not directly under the light due to par significantly dropping off at the 6" offset mark. The plant does not require co2 but will benefit from it, faster, dense growth and remain low to the substrate.
You can try it and see what happens, I feel like it will grow but it will take time. I think its possible that it will grow ok with your light, better if with 2 lights.

Upvote 0

andy305mia

Hey, just trying to help you out as no one else has responded. Ive personally never grown monte carlo for starters. So take what I say with a grain of salt so to speak.
Monte carlo requires moderate to high light. Your light has a par rating of about 65 at 12 inches so its going to drop off more on a 40 breeder. The size of a 40b is very wide, do you run 1 or 2 lights? If 1 the monte carlo may struggle if not directly under the light due to par significantly dropping off at the 6" offset mark. The plant does not require co2 but will benefit from it, faster, dense growth and remain low to the substrate.
You can try it and see what happens, I feel like it will grow but it will take time. I think its possible that it will grow ok with your light, better if with 2 lights.
Thanks, I was concerned about the height of the 40 breeder and I don't really want to add a second light although it would def help. I think I will try my luck with Dwarf Sag instead. Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Kribensis27
  • Question
Replies
Views
BENT17
Replies
Views