Monsters Inside Me Funny

1. Chance Member Member

So today I was just relaxing watching one of my favorite shows 'monsters inside me' having a jolly good time untill....the episode covered was about a man whom had a unknown infection that was spreading from his arm to the rest of his body..horrible boils and sores...extreme pain...just all around bad!!!! So the doctors are constantly in turmoil trying to help this man. Eventually the doctors ask "what are your hobbies, what do you do besides eat, sleep and work?" The man replies " well, not much just Care for my fish..". The man was later diagnosed with a rare bacterial infection caused by him sticking his hands in his Oscar tank while having a small cut on his finger. SOO..by now I'm freaked the you know what out!!!! Earlier today I nicked the back of my hand in the garage and preceded to clean my Oscar and Flowerhorn tank shortly after. I've scrubbed my hands 100 times and have done everything but drink Germ-X. I'm paranoid :( I might die! Even worse I might have some corny 15 minute tv show made about me. Omg.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. lwill Member Member

Ack that's a little freaky! Maybe his tanks were really firry and you can console yourself with having a clean tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. Chance Member Member

I was certainly freaked out, it was such a coincidence!!!

4. lwill Member Member

Wow I meant to say really dirty. Silly auto correct. I'm sure you'll be just fine

5. blusshed Well Known Member Member

I once saw an episode of that where a young girl helped her parents care for the fish and she lost movement of her hand and they showed an update, and she has basically no feeling/movement from her elbow down. It was horrible.

I get so paranoid, it's not just you haha!

6. Chance Member Member

Thank you, now I know I'm not the only fishkeeper scared of contracting some bizzare Amazon microbacterial freak parasite thingy lol :)

7. matsungit Well Known Member Member

You know these cases are extremely rare. It's comparable to winning the lottery.

8. Chance Member Member

I actually won the lottery...

Just kidding :) hahaha But knowing my luck I would get the bacterial infection way before I ever won the lottery

9. blusshed Well Known Member Member

Better go bathe in antibacterial soap... Actually maybe go to the hospital and ask for their sterilizing surgery wipes/soap/etc...

:;laughing:;laughing:;laughing

10. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

No, don't do that at home! Uh, really, regular soap only, please, while scrubbing for as long as it takes to sing correct Happy birthday.

Mycobacterial infections can actually be in a tank for a long time before the fishkeeper figures it out...

11. lwill Member Member

Ohhh great. I'm going to go out and buy those long gloves they sell for working in your fish tank.

12. LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

I just don't worry about thing like that.

13. blusshed Well Known Member Member

I actually have the antimicrobial hospital soap...

After I'm playing in tanks all day on cleaning days, especially in my 75gal I usually wash up to my elbows with it.

14. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

No, please do not use anti-microbial soap. It is like using a nuclear bomb every time. The indiscriminate use of antimicrobial soap actually helps to create superbugs and can bring about imbalance in water treatment plants. Please just scrub well with regular soap as that will remove 99% or more of the germs on your hands. You just want to remove bacteria, not kill all kinds of things that you cannot see and cannot choose from.

@ LeoDiaz
    Not worrying too much is also good for you ;)

15. LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

I don't worry at all. I'm not afraid to stick my hand i my tank and play tag with my fish. Lol

16. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Ow ow ow! Hey, kid, you who were raised in the first world and don't realize that the third world still exists in fishtanks, cut that out right now! LOL

17. LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

Didn't even understand that but yeah.

18. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

This goes back to my visit to relatives who live in the developing world and having to learn how people live without running water...

19. LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

Ok then I still don't understand the reference but it's okay i don't understand a lot things like history.lol

20. matsungit Well Known Member Member

Don't underestimate the human immune system. We are alot more resilient than the general people think. If we overuse antbiotics our immune system will hardly get its well needed exercise. Also, antibiotics kill essential probiotics living in our system. These symbiotes are a part of our body and help us with certain functions like digestion and assisting antibodies. I'm not saying antibiotics are bad. I'm just saying we shouldn't use antibiotics unnecessarily.