mom's 15gal

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by JDcichlidlover, Nov 25, 2012.

1. JDcichlidlover

JDcichlidloverWell Known MemberMember

My mom is a science teacher and has asked me to stock her tank again. Its a 15gal with lots of fake plants and a few decorum pieces. I've got my cichlids but I don't know much about community fish.
    I was thinking maybe some dwarf cories, shrimp, lyre tail danios and some male guppies. Like I said I know almost nothing about stocking a small community tank so I'll take any suggestions and pointers.

2. nippybetta

nippybettaWell Known MemberMember

I would skip the danios, because they're quite active and like 20g+. The guppies could work, but if the start producing a bunch of fry with nothing to keep them in check, you'll be very overstocked. My mom's a preschool teacher, and we have a 15g down there. So far it has 4 pygmy cories, 4 male guppies, 2 honey gouramis, and an amano shrimp... and a ton of shrimp. I'm thinking about getting more cories (which are absolutely adorable), a school of pygmy rasboras, RCS, and moving the guppies out if it looks too full. The kids love the tank.

You should definitely go the the cories, and a school of small fish. Consider a dwarf/ honey gourami, ram, or apisto as a centerpiece fish. If you go with dwarf cichlids of the DG, make sure the school is big enough so as not to get eaten. Consider tetras.

3. OP
    OP
    JDcichlidlover

I'm thinking a dg. Definatly some cories. Which tetras would you suggest? Neons? Black skirt?

And do you think ghost shrimp would be ok? Or should I try for some bamboo shrimp.

4. nippybetta

Bamboo shrimp would be cool, but if you get them make sure the tank is mature. I wouldn't do skirt tetras- they can get pretty big and would appreciate more space. Any smallish tetra would work. There are neons, black neons, glowlights, lemons, head and tail lights, silver tips, and golds, to name but a few. You could also do harlequin rasboras or cherry barbs. Go for 8 of the tetras, 6-8 dwarf cories, and a DG. If you have lots of plants in there, the ghost shrimp might not be eaten, although it depends on the DG. Some are really nice, like my old one, and others are downright mean.

5. OP
    OP
    JDcichlidlover

Hmmm. Harliquin would be pretty. One of the blue dg and peppered cories? Maybe in a few months some bamboo shrimp? She doesn't have real plants so ghosties would probably be a bad investment.

6. kinezumi89

kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

Peppered cories need at least a 20 long, so I would stick with the pygmy variety. Additionally I wouldn't keep a bamboo shrimp in a 15 gallon. They actually get pretty darn big and are very finicky eaters. I also think that cherry barbs get too big for a 15 gallon but that's just my two cents. :)

7. OP
    OP
    JDcichlidlover

Ok. I hope I can find some pygmy cories. So no shrimp?

8. nippybetta

No, not unless you want to take the risk them being eaten. My pygmy cories are adorable.

9. OP
    OP
    JDcichlidlover

Darn. Lol. Well I was thinking of getting a small tank for growing algae and plants for my africans. Maybe ill put some shrimp in there lol. :D I just hope there's some pygmy cories in mansfield or akron. I know there isn't any in wooster

10. Fishyboy05Valued MemberMember

Hi!
    You could try to do both a dg and an apisto or German blue ram! I second the Pygmy Cory's, and I'd go with ether phantom tetras or marbled hatchet fish. You should have 6 of those, 5 tetras, 1 or 2 centerpieces

11. kinezumi89

Unfortunately I have to disagree. You definitely should not mix a gourami and a cichlid; you should only have one centerpiece per tank(that's the reason it's a "centerpiece;" they often don't want to share the limelight and will fight). Not counting fish that are kept in multiples of course, like three pearl gouramis or a pair of angels. I mean you shouldn't mix centerpiece fish.

12. OP
    OP
    JDcichlidlover

Yeah. I don't know about getting hatchet fish. Its only a 15gal and i'm going to have trouble enough finding pygmy cories. I've been looking at lfs within 50 miles of me and most have reviews. :( will a gourami have problems if I put it and the harliquins in first and once I find cories put them in? Or should the gourami go in last

13. nippybetta

I would do the gourami last. It'll give the cories a little chance to grow a bit bigger, and the other fish will stabilize the tank. Be careful what gourami you choose. Most big box store gouramis are in terrible shape. You can tell by they're dark heads, frayed fins, and lethargic behavior. Try to choose a healthy one.

14. OP
    OP
    JDcichlidlover

I will definanly be choosing a nicly colored one with lots of energy. I just hope I can find some pygmys. Mom'll have to live with just harliquin for a while til I can find some lol. I really want her to have cories. I think her boys will love them.

15. kinezumi89

You can always order them online :)

16. OP
    OP
    JDcichlidlover

Ok. Finally stocking moms tank today and have one more question. I have my established tank at home. If I take a few shells or some gravel and keep it wet how long will the bacteria last? I work from 8 to 230 today. And was going to bring her fish right after work

17. Moneypenny1967

Moneypenny1967Valued MemberMember

Cant answer your last question but if you want an alternative to pygmy corys you may like panda corys.I'm adding them next to my new 20g tank which has harlequins.Instead of doing DG I'm trying a betta for the first time.The harlequins look great in a school especially under the right lighting.Good luck finding your corys.

18. OP
    OP
    JDcichlidlover

That's a good idea. Ill try to find them. I'm having no luck finding pygmy cories. A betta sounds great but mom has a bit of a current in her tank. Not sure if that'll work.

I still need an answer for the gravel... hopefully I get one before I have to leave. Gotta go in 2 hrs.

19. Moneypenny1967

Moneypenny1967Valued MemberMember

Dont think gravel has alot of bacteria.It would be better to take some media from filter.If you keep it wet I think its ok for up to 24hours.

20. OP
    OP
    JDcichlidlover

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice