Momma cat not taking care of her own Help

Discussion in 'Cats' started by insanedreams77, Nov 26, 2012.

1. insanedreams77Valued MemberMember

I need some help I have three two day old kittens and mom keeps leaving them and not letting them drink. I don't have the money right now for kitten formla what can I do?

2. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

I don't know what to feed them, but you have to rub their privates (a warm damp cloth works) so they can go to the bathroom.

3. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

Best wishes for the kittens. Hopefully someone will respond with some helpful information before too long.

Ken

4. OP
    OP
    i

insanedreams77Valued MemberMember

I know. Momma keeps putting them somewhere really cold and than just leaving them without warmth. I have them somewhere warm right now but I don't know what else to do. The mom cat already lost two kittens do you think that is what is messing her up and she also had a hard birthing.

I hope so to. I need all the help I can get.

5. fishynoob

fishynoobWell Known MemberMember

Hiya I have not had any personal experience with cats doing this but I have with other animals namely sheep lol and this was at least 10 years ago maybe even 15! Now I feel old!
    The birth probably didn't have anything to do with why she ignoring her babies it is usually down to her not having the right instincts. The first port of call would be to introduce the kitties to the mum in a place mum is comfortable and observe her behaviour. If she tries to let them feed or if she licks them there is hope in letting mum take over. Don't force mum but let her see the kitties and when she is calm and accepting but when she starts to get fed up remove them and keep them warm. If she isn't having any of it then there are two routes either you become kitty mum and this involves getting the right formula as cows milk isn't good for kitties I think you can use goats milk though nut not sure. long feeding times right through the night ((in my experience!)get a wooley dressing gown over your knee get a long teated bottle and feed them sort of through the blanket (if you are hoping to get mum involved at a later date - keep introducing the kitties to mum). Make sure the kitties are kneading the blanket this is what starts mums milk It does also mean helping the babies go to the toilet also means lots of cuddles! or else you can try and find a surrogate mum.

Edit:
    Just found this at  

If you can’t get to a pet store right away, consult our recipes for a goat’s-milk based Emergency Kitten Formula.”

Formula #1:
    1 quart whole goat’s milk
    1 teaspoon light Karo syrup
    1 tablespoon nonfat plain yogurt (goat’s milk preferred)
    1 Knox unflavored gelatin:
    Newborn-1 week 1 pkg
    2nd week 1 1/2 – 2 pkgs
    3rd week 2 1/2 – 3 pkgs
    4th week 4 pkgs
    As I say my experience comes from different animals not cats but I think a far bit of advice will carry cross species. Wait for more replies first though!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  6. OP
    OP
    i

Well we just found another kitten died but wasn't from the three I have been keeping warm we don't know when she had this one. I am really thinking it her losing her babies cuz the first day she was fine and most of the second day but now nothing. I got to figure out how to get kitten formla.

7. fishynoob

Aww I'm sorry that is really sad. Did she set up a nesting space and has that space been disturbed since she made it?

8. OP
    OP
    i

No it hasn't at all. She has had another litter and did good and no vets open til 8 around here. Right now they are fine but I have no way of getting milk replacer.

9. llfish

llfishWell Known MemberMember

Well I had a cat named Omar. My sister accidently ran over the mom when he was 2 days old. I took it home, I bought a jug of whole milk and fed it with an eye dropper/medicine dropper for quite a while. If you cant get a hold of any type of milk and are desperate I would try that. I would wonder about human baby formula...but I am not sure. Maybe stop by your local vet with them, some may carry very very tiny bottles that you can use. My cat lived 17 years...
    Even call a vet and get recommendations.

10. OP
    OP
    i

I heard feeding them milk like that is bad but who knows. I was wondering about the baby formla to but no vets are open yet where I am at.

11. fishynoob

Cows milk just doesn't have enough nutrients in it for a cat, you can use it for a short amount of time but whole fat goats milk is a much better alternative try the recipe above if you can

12. OP
    OP
    i

I will. I am going to try everything in my power to help them I cant stand anymore death right now.

Update on the kittens it seems momma is doing really good with feeding them we think she was having issues giving brith and wanted us to watch the three and help her. Cuz we found a new one early this morning that wasn't from the begaining. I am still getting kitten formla just in case.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2012
  13. geminichick_90

geminichick_90Valued MemberMember

I would take momma and the kittens to the vet to make sure she has no more in her and to get all the others looked at to make sure everyone is healthy

14. OP
    OP
    i

Ya I know. We will do.

15. tunastrack

tunastrackWell Known MemberMember

Hello, I just saw this post. I have been fostering newborn kittens for almost 20 yrs. First of all, when the mother cat tried to abandon the kittens. "sometimes" this means her instincts are telling her the kittens are not healthy. Im just telling you this to make sure you know what could happen down the road. It is heart breaking to take care of the babies and have them die on you.

Anyway, the first thing you need to do is go get some carnation instant milk (the type in the can) and some egg yolks. (raw) Mix them together and this is what you can feed the babies. Feed them 5 ml every 2-3 hours. the milk will last in the fridge for about 3 days. You can heat it up by doing the hot water method like you would for a baby bottle. Just test it first on your wrist.

After each feeding take a warm rag and PAT (not rub) the kittens "area" to stimulate him using the bathroom. It is important not to rub, because this can cause irritation and also the bowel to start protruding. Which can then lead to much more serious issues.

It is also very important to keep the kittens clean. They will get very messy while eating. So take another warm rag and wipe the areas that get dirty. If you have flies around, this is ubber important. Do not submerge them in water until they are at least 3 weeks old.

Good luck!! Keep trying to get the momma cat to take to the kittens. Or if you have another momma cat who could foster them, that would be ideal. Putting the momma cat in a smaller room where she has access to all her food, using the bathroom etc. She may just be young and nervous and need some encouragment. Let us know how it goes.

16. featherblueWell Known MemberMember

I had a momma Kitty drooped on me with 3 days old kittens 2 summers ago. Mouse was scared by the new house and kept trying to smuggle the kittens out the first week. She was scared and ignoring the babies. I converted a extra lg dog carrier into a kitten room and put it in the spare room. Food, water and potty and shut the door. Mousy Kitty didn't like it at first, but she started caring for the kitten when stuck with them. She was happy with the situation a few days later and wouldn't leave ber Kitty condo.

Calm and little options and she was nursing and cleaning babies half day later. Wed sneak in to play with kittens and love on momma a few times a day and let her have an hour off after dinner to visit in the rest of the house.

17. fishyluvWell Known MemberMember

I got a kitten that did not even have its eyes open yet that the mama cat just pushed aside. It was weak and was barely alive! I went to walmart and bought the KMR (kitten milk replacement) and a little kitten bottle. They have this in the cat section at walmart. I fed this lil kitten around the clock. T-Bird is now going on 12 yrs old and is a healthy 12 lbs!! He is my bottle baby as i call him! He is the sweetest and loving cat that has to sleep by my side under the covers. He is a little spoiled also! lol I have always had cats and i have 9 at the moment but no kittens. All my 14 animals are spayed or neutered. Good Luck to you and your kittens!!!!

18. OP
    OP
    i

Well we have three little kittens the two bigger ones are doing great and drinking good from the mom now. I am worried about the runt that lived I got some kitten milk from the store but the kitten won't suck on it so I am going on to get a syringe and feed a little of the milk I got to make sure he or she lives. I don't think they are unhealthy the biggest has a set of lungs on him or her so I don't know. She had three die on her and she toke to long to give birth in between. So I am just watching careful and the little one gets to cold. Mom cat is doing ok with them right now and we don't know anyone to find a foster kitty.

19. featherblueWell Known MemberMember

Just keep mommas options simple, take care of the babies or deal with them whining. All it took to jump start instinct in my adoptee.

I used the corner of a ziplock to nurse found babies. I warmed the formula in the microwave, checked it wasn't too hot. Put 1/2 oz in the bottom of a sandwich baggie. I used scissors to snip the very edge of the bag. Took a few bags to get the cornern clip right. Too big and the milk goes everywhere, not enough and nothing moves. I got it to pour only with a little pressure, either a light squeeze or suckling. Something to hold ya over while u track down syringes

20. OP
    OP
    i

Thank you for that. That is a very good idea. I am just keeping it simple and just keep an eye on the littlest. And make sure they are staying warm it is cold it this house.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice