Mom wants a tank =)

Coryd55
We went to Petland today and she saw a Rope Fish and now she wants one. How hard are they to keep. Requirements? etc, etc. I know they are brackish but that's about it.....

Lemme know.

ow

Dino
They require a little bit of specialized care.
They also usually do best on live food, which can be an expensive committment.

Coryd55
Yea the guy told us they were a little hard to take care of but wanted to double check here. ANy other interesting fish that just look unique like that one?

COBettaCouple
hmm.. maybe she'd like a knife fish or baschir (hope I spelled that one right)?

Chief_waterchanger
Those are both very large fish, just so ya know Cory. They'd need 100 gallon each, basically.

armadillo
You could go for dwarf puffers, kuhlI loaches and a fancy pleco or something. They all look quite special, and could live together in a 20G. Also, they're freshwater.

Butterfly
Kuhlis are kind of snakey looking like the rope fish and very easy to take care of.
Carol

Chief_waterchanger
And with Kuhlis, if you wait till they are all under a large piece of driftwood and move the driftwood they scatter like crazy, its fun... but should never be done cuz it is probably cruel to give kuhlI loaches heart attacks.

Butterfly
And with Kuhlis, if you wait till they are all under a large piece of driftwood and move the driftwood they scatter like crazy, its fun... but should never be done cuz it is probably cruel to give kuhlI loaches heart attacks.

uuuuummmmmmmmm !! I know what you been doing
carol

Coryd55
Yea I plan on getting 8 kuhlis inmy tank. I thought about BGK but they get big. She might like some kind of pleco. Since they have such a color variety.

armadillo
That sounds good. Although you'll need to research well to make sure you buy one that doesn't grow crazy big. The Queen Arabesque is beautiful and if I am not mistaken, it doesn't grow too much. Although I"ve never owned one, so not sure. planet catfish is a great site to research plecos, with a fab database to choose from.

Not all kuhlis get big. It depends on the species. But I guess if she wants original, then it's not super that you have it in the very same house, LOL.

OOooh, how about adding pretty shrimps to her bizarre animal collection? Or African Dwarf Frogs?

JMatt1983
an upside down catfish would be interesting, they grow to be about 4 inches, they naturally swim upside down, so they're fun to watch

COBettaCouple
yea, I did go kinda big tank on her.. great suggestions here & I really like the idea of some plecos that would be more unique looking or just plain beauties like the high-finned bristlenoses, along with either glass cats or upside-down cats.

armadillo
That's a great suggestion, J Matt! Are they tropical or colder water, though? I seemed to remember something about them being cool water, but am not sure whether am totally confused here. Anyway, do check that one out: great idea.
an upside down catfish would be interesting, they grow to be about 4 inches, they naturally swim upside down, so they're fun to watch

Chief_waterchanger
The main fish sold as upsidedown catfish are from the congo; they are tropical.

Cody
maybe some kind of shrimp would be cool there unuiqe and give the tank some personality

Chief_waterchanger
In the spring or summer check out aquabid Some of the shrimp on there go for outrageous amounts sometimes, but some are worth it. (aquabid is the ebay for the fishkeeping hobby, basically.) I want some of the blue tiger shrimp sooooo bad but not 100s of dollars bad.

Butterfly
In the spring or summer check out Some of the shrimp on there go for outrageous amounts sometimes, but some are worth it. (aquabid is the ebay for the fishkeeping hobby, basically.) I want some of the blue tiger shrimp sooooo bad but not 100s of dollars bad.
I want Peppermint shrimp but ditto on the price
Carol

armadillo
Ah well, there you go. I was confused there. Thanks for setting the record straight.

So that's great news: upside downs are on the list.

After all this, we DEMAND pictures of her set-up when it's up and running!
The main fish sold as upsidedown catfish are from the congo; they are tropical.

Dino
Cory, with you living close to Atlanta, you will find lots of interesting QUALITY fish availbe at the Atlanta Area Aquarium Association auctions.

Plus, you get to meet the people who bred these fish, a bonus when you are to the point of trying to breed your fish.

Chief_waterchanger
(whispers to Cory)

They're weirdos, run fast. People like Dino and Butterfly show up to those club meetings.

Dino
We have pictures of CWC at AAAA auctions too, so don't listen to him.

Coryd55
Haha. Alright I might be able to make it to that Cichlid one you were talking about. Its a weekend right?

Dino
Yes, it is in mid July.
It will be the largest fish show in the country for 2008.

Coryd55
Oh, its in July so it's during summer. I think I can probably make it then.

Dino
Cool!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
-Mak-
  • Question
Replies
Views
KSo
Replies
Views