Mom Wants A Crayfish

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well, my mom wants a pet, and it's a crayfish.
Who'd of thought?

What are the care requirements for these guys?
She wanted a fiddler, but that won't work for us. I realize that these guys are pretty easy, but just how good are they with us?

So far, we've got a 10 gallon, is that large enough? Thinking of doing a dark substrate, plenty of hiding decorations and plastic plants, rocks, and some wood. I do understand that they are a bit messy, and tend to pull things over.

Got a HOB filter on hand, and ready to cycle it.
I won't be getting the crayfish for another month.

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Fanatic said:
What about a blue crayfish?
Electric blues will grow too big, but there is a blue version of the CPO.

I’ll refer to the CPO has the Dwarf Orange Mexican Crayfish now.

The blue one is called the Dwarf Blue Mexican Crayfish.

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They eat a lot of different things as well; just about the same kinda stuff as most inverts. (detritus, shrimp pellets, leftover food, dead carcasses, flake food, usually whatever they can get their claws on) as they're pretty much scavengers, although the primary difference is, they eat a LOT more than most small shrimp, like RCS's and others. HEAVY water flow/aeration/surface agitation isn't super mandatory, but a gentler application of that will help. I used to have some wild ones and some blues back in the day in my 15L tank, and I fed 'em a piece of McDonald's hamburger, (lol) part of a dead frog, shrimp pellets, canned green beans, flake food, a dead minnow--they pretty much eat alost any meat, especially when hungry.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks! We're going to chat about it, and gather up everything we need.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom