Molting Shrimp

proudtobeafarmgirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have owned fish for 7 plus years now and a few months ago got into cherry shrimp. I recently converted my 10 gallon guppy tank to a shrimp tank and purchased 100 more to go with the 7 or 8 shrimp I had bought a month or so earlier. Well, I have had these 100 for two weeks or so and they are doing well so far, but these last few days I have noticed molting "shells" all over the tank, I take this as a good sign but was wondering if they are molting due to recovering from stress from shipping or just natural growth. They are all different ages and sizes and they are getting their color back. They sure eat well. Kind of cool seeing these moltings, some are hanging on the plants and are so lifelike you have to look twice. They are such interesting little creatures and quite entertaining.

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Molting is a good sign...they need to molt as they grow. Get out of the old smaller hard shells, expand and then develope their new hard hard shells. It happens pretty fast, as they are very suseptable to predators when the they molt and are soft.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thinking about all those molted shells you're describing gives me the willies, just like seeing an empty cicada shell. (((shudder)))

-Lisa

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads