Molting shrimp

tkfury

When I picked up the four ghost shrimp I knew a little bit about the whole molting deal but since going down to two for the past few weeks things have seemed out of control. The one I have is huge, already bigger than my zebras at 2inches the other one that we use to call tiny is almost as big at the zebras, about 1inch. Between the two there is just about always a discareded shell in the tank - I've seen the shrimp picking at the shell so unless its there the next day I take it out but last week I had three shells. Exactly how often do these shrimp molt? Can't one molt twice in one week or do I have a third monster hiding from me?

Cody

well that seems to be way to often..did you find the bodies of the others you had lost..or were you just assuming. ghost srhimp normally get to about an inch..but I have heard of peoples getting lager...and they might have been mis-labled .and the could actully be amano shrimp which will get to about 2 inches

MagpieTear

It's the Mutant Ghost Shrimp! I have one that is about the size of my Pristellas as well, easily over 1.5". All the rest are normal ghostie size, but this one is a monster.

tkfury

I'm near 100% they are ghost - the shrimp they had labled as amano, the guy told me he was moving them because they took out three tanks of neons before they figured out what was happening (then tried selling me some). They look identical to ll the pictures of ghost shrimp - I thought I read they usually get to 1-2 inches? I've had to move everyone into a differant tank and it was just the two - always a chance they might of bred but I doubt it since the shells have all been 1-2inches. Just wanted to make sure nothing was wrong, I've heard about some species of something o_0 that the molt faster while they are under stress and end up lacking an outter shell.

Long as they leave my zebras alone I don't care how big they get. The clean up after themselves (if that be the only cleaning they do - tsk tsk).

Cody

they won't bother anyone anyways..and its good to leave there shells in there ...they will eat them and its a good source of calcium which will help strengthen there new outer shell(exo skelleton).. I love shrimp and I'm doing a lot of research on them..I want to kinda be the shrimp guy on fishlore..lol..like if you have a betta Questoin you should know who to ask

tkfury

I've had problems with what I thought were nice fish kinda turning on me (those evil zebra danios & now silver tip tetras - GRR) so I'm probably going to assume everyone has the potentional to turn just to try and stay on the safe side. I move my little ghostiest but I wish I could find more infomation about them, just incase - ya know? I've gotten to the point that when they start to turn a little white its a sign they are about to molt (I think so anyways, always find a shell the next day). I only plan to take the shells out the next day if its still there to try and avoid any spikes - I've heard that a "lost" dead fish can really cause some problems but I'm not sure if the shell will do anything (again, lack of infomation).

I'm more than happy to come to you if you want with ghostie inquiries if you want

Cody

the shells are calcium..they won't harm your water at all there good for your shrimp..they normally will eat thema and the calcium helps to harden there new exo skeleton(shell)...they won't cuase an ammonia spike though. do not worry

tkfury

Ah, tank you. I have yet to have to take one out since they always take care of it so quickly but good to know

Sam Livingston

Agree with cody, with anything that molts best to leave the shell in there for a week before removing, my shrimp, crabs, and crawdads all eat there's and end up growing very heartily from it.

Latest threads

Top Bottom