Molting shrimp and seachem flourish question!

CorydorasCats

Hey everyone

Is there any way to tell if my fan shrimp need to molt or are about to molt? And is there anything I should do to help them/make them more comfortable during/after a molt?

Also, I have just purchased some seachem flourish (comprehensive) and I am trying to find out if the first dose should be larger than the regular dosage amount? I read somewhere that when you first use it the dosage should be much larger then go to your regular dosage but I can’t seem to find out how much to dose the first use??

And finally - anyone have any tips for keeping the tank from over-heating during a heatwave? I have been floating ice bags but they don’t last long :(

Thanks!

Crimson_687

Well Known
The best way to lower tank temp is surface agitation. Cooling fans help a ton. If it’s really bad, you could invest in a chiller

As for seachem flourish, I’ve used it in tanks with amano shrimp, cherry shrimp, and a dwarf crayfish. No adverse affects on adult shrimp, shrimplets, or the crayfish, and I’ve had successful molts among all of them.

As for the first dose being more, I would just do a normal dose. You can do it once or twice a week, so I guess for the first few weeks you could do twice a week, then resume once a week.

As for knowing when a shrimp will molt, the shrimp may start to hide or show a decrease in activity.

OP
CorydorasCats

CorydorasCats

Crimson_687 said:
The best way to lower tank temp is surface agitation. Cooling fans help a ton. If it’s really bad, you could invest in a chiller

As for seachem flourish, I’ve used it in tanks with amano shrimp, cherry shrimp, and a dwarf crayfish. No adverse affects on adult shrimp, shrimplets, or the crayfish, and I’ve had successful molts among all of them.

As for the first dose being more, I would just do a normal dose. You can do it once or twice a week, so I guess for the first few weeks you could do twice a week, then resume once a week.

As for knowing when a shrimp will molt, the shrimp may start to hide or show a decrease in activity.
Thank you so much for your answers! Really appreciate it! :)

I’m in the UK, usually it is freezing and raining but we seem to be having a little heatwave at the moment and I’m trying to keep my tank from getting too hot! It’s new territory :joyful:

Crimson_687

Well Known
CorydorasCats said:
Thank you so much for your answers! Really appreciate it! :)

I’m in the UK, usually it is freezing and raining but we seem to be having a little heatwave at the moment and I’m trying to keep my tank from getting too hot! It’s new territory :joyful:
Where I live the tank hits 80 on its own during the summer, but never higher than 82 as far as I’ve seen. One thing that helps a ton is tank placement. Larger/open rooms, like a living room or front room, have a more stable temperature and are generally cooler than smaller/closed rooms, like bedrooms, which tend to change a lot in temperature and are warmer. I tried keeping a nightstand tank and gave up very quickly for this reason. It depends on your house tho.

OP
CorydorasCats

CorydorasCats

Crimson_687 said:
Where I live the tank hits 80 on its own during the summer, but never higher than 82 as far as I’ve seen. One thing that helps a ton is tank placement. Larger/open rooms, like a living room or front room, have a more stable temperature and are generally cooler than smaller/closed rooms, like bedrooms, which tend to change a lot in temperature and are warmer. I tried keeping a nightstand tank and gave up very quickly for this reason. It depends on your house tho.
Yeah my tank is in my bedroom I am counting down the days til I move out & can do what I want! :rolleyes: (Bigger tank!) It’s not ideal the room gets so hot but I am keeping an eye on it and it hasn’t gotten above 82 as I’m floating ice bags which lower it about a degree but doesn’t last long!

My poor dog is also suffering! Us brits moan when it’s cold and moan when it’s too hot :hilarious:

OP
CorydorasCats

CorydorasCats

richiep said:
Get yourself these fans i had mine ftom Allpond solutions UK
Ooh they are cool! I will have a look, that’s where I got my filter from :)

Thanks!

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Depending on the tank size you get fans from a single up to a block of 6 and they do a great job

New Threads