Molting problems, don't know what's wrong

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
never been there but told its nice.
how about the full parameters on the tap water an those photes
the other thing think back and have any moult issues come to light just after adding meds or water changes as in within a week

OP
rabbitsnfoxes

rabbitsnfoxes

Reaction score
It is a beautiful place, especially this time of year when everything is blooming.

Here are some pics, let me know if you need more or if you need closeups of anything specific.

They have been dying pretty consistently the past few weeks, so it's hard to know if it's water changes, but there seems to have been an uptick since adding the general cure for the parasites. I dosed according to the package instructions.

Tap Water Parameters:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
Copper: 0
pH: 8.2
GH: 4
KH: 3
TDS: 140

So my tap water isn't too bad. I bet the "conditioning" salt and the general cure bumped my tank's TDS way up and that's the issue. Or maybe it was the aragonite. Thoughts on removing the aragonite? How many water changes can I do in a week to get the GH and TDS down, and should I use my tap water or stick with distilled/RO?

Attachments

tjander

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
@op. Not sure where you are in Maryland. I am in Pasadena. Give House of Tropics in Glen Burnie a call for RO water. You will need you own bucket. I use a Home Depot 5 gallon bucket.
I assume they are open, but I don’t know for sure.
Very helpful people though they will try to sell you stuff. Just stop at the counter and pay for you water.

OP
rabbitsnfoxes

rabbitsnfoxes

Reaction score
tjander said:
@op. Not sure where you are in Maryland. I am in Pasadena. Give House of Tropics in Glen Burnie a call for RO water. You will need you own bucket. I use a Home Depot 5 gallon bucket.
I assume they are open, but I don’t know for sure.
Very helpful people though they will try to sell you stuff. Just stop at the counter and pay for you water.
I'm in Catonsville, so I'll definitely visit House of Tropicals tomorrow. I had actually just checked their Facebook page and they are open tomorrow.

I don't have a 5 gallon bucket with a lid. Do you think they would fill gallon jugs for me?

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks tjander for that,
Ok rabbit its pointing towards the meds and salt especially looking at the tds.
You can do your 13% change with all ro water in fact you can do 50% your only diluting the tank which is the same as it raining in the wild if its possible use some airline and try and put your new water higher than the tank and leave it siphon slowly try and put the pipe in the heater area just incase it needs warming
Those shrimp look fine there's no white line there, I think your deaths are a knock on from those meds
tjander any thoughts it's so easy to miss something in these situations

tjander

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So first off call House of Tropics before you drive there. They don’t always update the web page. Second, if you at all don’t feel good please do t go. I will be in myself today ( OK I am half joking but let’s not lose sight of the crisis we are in )
I don’t think it would be a problem a gallon is a gallon and that’s what they sell a gallon of RO water.

IRT the issues I think your TDS is way too high and to be honest your TDS does not match what your reporting for your water parameters. I have only seen 800 TDS when your nitrates are very high. So, You might want to take a sample of your water to HOT when you get your water and have them test it. Ask them about GH and KH measurements.
Again call them before you drive over, just to make sure they are open.

OP
rabbitsnfoxes

rabbitsnfoxes

Reaction score
tjander said:
So first off call House of Tropics before you drive there. They don’t always update the web page. Second, if you at all don’t feel good please do t go. I will be in myself today ( OK I am half joking but let’s not lose sight of the crisis we are in )
I don’t think it would be a problem a gallon is a gallon and that’s what they sell a gallon of RO water.

IRT the issues I think your TDS is way too high and to be honest your TDS does not match what your reporting for your water parameters. I have only seen 800 TDS when your nitrates are very high. So, You might want to take a sample of your water to HOT when you get your water and have them test it. Ask them about GH and KH measurements.
Again call them before you drive over, just to make sure they are open.
I went to House of Tropics and got a few gallons of RO water. I think the TDS is sky-high because of the salt and meds I had added. I hope everyone makes it until I can get it down to a safer level.

Parameters right now after a morning water change of 2 gallon with distilled water:

pH: 7.8
GH: 11
TDS: 747

tjander

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well that’s a start. Just out of Curiosity what is your tap water test at? TDS specifically. But do all the tests. No need to do copper though. So Run a sample let it sit with an air stone in it for 24 hours and measure. Also check your TDS in the tank again tomorrow to see if it coming back up. Don’t do a water change for 3-4 days

OP
rabbitsnfoxes

rabbitsnfoxes

Reaction score
tjander said:
Well that’s a start. Just out of Curiosity what is your tap water test at? TDS specifically. But do all the tests. No need to do copper though. So Run a sample let it sit with an air stone in it for 24 hours and measure. Also check your TDS in the tank again tomorrow to see if it coming back up. Don’t do a water change for 3-4 days
My tap parameters straight out of the faucet are:
pH: 8.2
GH: 4
TDS: 140

I'm setting up an air stone right now so I can run it in a bucket of tap overnight and test in the AM. Stay tuned! I'll also test the tank TDS in the AM too to see if it goes up. There just HAS to be a way for me to get the TDS back down after getting it up this high (due to adding meds and salt). My 55 has a TDS in the low 400s.

tjander

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Are you adding fertilizer to the water? Also do you have a filter with carbon or other media in it?

Also it will come down I would stop adding anything to it but the RO water again 15 to 20% changes every 3-4 days.

The point of testing your tap water is it’s probably clean enough to use saving you the hassle of getting the RO water. Initial indications looks pretty good the ph is a bit high but I bet after off gassing it will be down.

OP
rabbitsnfoxes

rabbitsnfoxes

Reaction score
tjander said:
Are you adding fertilizer to the water? Also do you have a filter with carbon or other media in it?

Also it will come down I would stop adding anything to it but the RO water again 15 to 20% changes every 3-4 days.

The point of testing your tap water is it’s probably clean enough to use saving you the hassle of getting the RO water. Initial indications looks pretty good the ph is a bit high but I bet after off gassing it will be down.
My tap water parameters after leaving the tap water in a bucket with an air stone running for nearly 24 hours:

pH: 7.8
GH: 5
TDS: 125

I used to put one squirt (the does for a ten gallon tank) in on an infrequent basis, but have not done so in at least two weeks.

Current TDS in my shrimp tank (I topped off with RO water last night): 695

tjander

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Look like it’s coming down. Your water after 24 hours looks good as well PH is a bit higher then I would like but not enough to worry about it. I would think a good course would be to continue to use the RO water till you get down to the 300 and then you could switch to tap water.
Tell me about your filter?
Also don’t forget that your shrimp will need calcium Blanched Kale is a good source. Also don’t forget to use prime to your tap water when you start using it.

OP
rabbitsnfoxes

rabbitsnfoxes

Reaction score
tjander said:
Look like it’s coming down. Your water after 24 hours looks good as well PH is a bit higher then I would like but not enough to worry about it. I would think a good course would be to continue to use the RO water till you get down to the 300 and then you could switch to tap water.
Tell me about your filter?
Also don’t forget that your shrimp will need calcium Blanched Kale is a good source. Also don’t forget to use prime to your tap water when you start using it.
Yeah, I don't love the pH either. There really isn't a way to lower it without messing with other parameters, grrrr.

My filter is a Fluval C2. I added an intake sponge and removed the carbon insert, replacing it with bio rings. There is no chemical filtration, just biological and mechanical. My water is super clear :)

And I have a whole garden full of kale, and multiple varieties at that! They didn't like the blanched dandelion leaves I gave them, but I'll keep trying. Blanched kale is in there right now. I'll try grapes leaves and mulberry leaves once things in my garden leaf out (I have a grape vine so I can confirm the leaves are organic).

And yes to Prime. I'm so paranoid that I've been dosing the distilled and RO water!

Thank you, when corona-virus is all over we should meetup so I can buy you a drink!

tjander

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As far as them eating, I have found if you don’t feed them for a couple days they will eat most anything. Good to hear about the filter, I had a high TDS and after pulling the media out it went down. A PH of 7.8 is not that bad. If you really wanted to drop it and conserve RO water you could always cut the RO with tap to get a good PH level of around 7.4. One thing I would caution you on is do not try to add chemicals to lower the PH. It’s a recipe for disaster. I think if you keep going with what your doing it should all work out.
IRT drinks, I am a retired sailor so need I say more.

OP
rabbitsnfoxes

rabbitsnfoxes

Reaction score
tjander said:
As far as them eating, I have found if you don’t feed them for a couple days they will eat most anything. Good to hear about the filter, I had a high TDS and after pulling the media out it went down. A PH of 7.8 is not that bad. If you really wanted to drop it and conserve RO water you could always cut the RO with tap to get a good PH level of around 7.4. One thing I would caution you on is do not try to add chemicals to lower the PH. It’s a recipe for disaster. I think if you keep going with what your doing it should all work out.
IRT drinks, I am a retired sailor so need I say more.
Yeah, I think I'll let the pH be. Change one thing and a cascade of other things happen. And yes, let's pencil in a drink :) There are a lot of very experienced ship captains in my family along with some fishermen/clammers. I grew up on Long Island.

New Threads