Molting problems, don't know what's wrong

rabbitsnfoxes

Reaction score
All of my cherry shrimp are dying one by one to molting problems.

Parameters:
pH 7.8
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Temp 72 degrees F
KH 4
GH 12
*I have a handful of argonite in a stocking in my tank to keep the KH up because it would be really low/zero otherwise

My parameters seem OK, and the guys at my LFS told me that they keep RCS in worse conditions in their home tanks. But mine keep dying so I figured I could at least try to lower my GH. My tap GH is around 15 or higher even, so I have been adding distilled water in my last two weekly water changes. My GH was 13 after my water change on March 11 and it is now 11/12 after a water change on March 17. Unfortunately I just had another girl die on me tonight. Did she die because her shell was too hard from back when the GH was really high? And things will get better as I keep adding distilled water during regular weekly water changes? What am I doing wrong???

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't have the answer but I will mention richie.p so he sees this thread.

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello,

I've only been keeping cherry shrimp for a short time, but I'll try to help until someone more experienced comes along.
  1. How old is the tank?
  2. How long ago did you add the shrimp?
  3. What acclimation method did you use, and for how long?
  4. What are you feeding them?
  5. How often do you change water, and how much?
  6. When did the shrimp start dying?

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Those questions by JettsPapa are really important do please answer them, we also need closeup photos of the living and dead before removing from the tank

OP
rabbitsnfoxes

rabbitsnfoxes

Reaction score
JettsPapa said:
Hello,

I've only been keeping cherry shrimp for a short time, but I'll try to help until someone more experienced comes along.
  1. How old is the tank?
  2. How long ago did you add the shrimp?
  3. What acclimation method did you use, and for how long?
  4. What are you feeding them?
  5. How often do you change water, and how much?
  6. When did the shrimp start dying?
The tank is 6/7 months old. The shrimp were added about a month and a half ago. I floated the bag for 30 minutes then very slowly added tank water to the bag until it was full and then added the shrimp to the tank. They eat shrimp king complete and whatever the White Cloud Minnows don't get which is primarily tropical bug bites. They occasionally get frozen brine shrimp. I change the water weekly. I change out two gallons from the tank which is a 15 gallon. The shrimp started dying about three weeks ago.

OP
rabbitsnfoxes

rabbitsnfoxes

Reaction score
richie.p said:
Those questions by JettsPapa are really important do please answer them, we also need closeup photos of the living and dead before removing from the tank
I don't have any pictures of the dead because they were removed as soon as I noticed they were dead, but they all had the white ring of death. I'll attach pics of the living once the tank lights pop on in a few hours. Thank you!!!

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
We need a lot more detail than your giving I suggest you fill our the form below the best you can, you are putting stale and dirty water from a old setup into your shrimp tank this in its self will stress and kill shrimp, you don't say how you go through this procedure. Changing water it not like the same as fish shrimp need fresh water, you could also have introduced disease by adding the water from the bag they came in so there's lots to look at but most important is all the information to build a picture. I know some of the information as already been given but its all important when it comes to shrimp
*What species is your problem related to? (e.g. Red Cherry Shrimp)

Water Parameters

Please give as many as possible
PH
GH
KH
Nitrites
Nitrates
Ammonia
Copper
TDS
Temperature

Your Aquarium

Size?
How long has this tank been set up?
Are there any other inhabitants?
What is your water change schedule and%?
What do you feed and how often?
Do you add any chemicals? (water conditioner, fertiliser,meds etc)
Filtration?
Substrate?

Introduction to the Tank (if applicable)

How long has the invert been in the tank?
How did you acclimate them?

Please explain your problem with as much information as possible and include pictures if you can.

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
richie.p said:
...you are putting stale and dirty water from a old setup into your shrimp tank this in its self will stress and kill shrimp, you don't say how you go through this procedure.
richie.p,

She didn't say she dumped the water from the bag into the tank, just that she added tank water to the bag until it was full and then added the shrimp. Maybe she did dump it in, but that's not how I read it.

OP
rabbitsnfoxes

rabbitsnfoxes

Reaction score
richie.p said:
We need a lot more detail than your giving I suggest you fill our the form below the best you can, you are putting stale and dirty water from a old setup into your shrimp tank this in its self will stress and kill shrimp, you don't say how you go through this procedure. Changing water it not like the same as fish shrimp need fresh water, you could also have introduced disease by adding the water from the bag they came in so there's lots to look at but most important is all the information to build a picture. I know some of the information as already been given but its all important when it comes to shrimp
*What species is your problem related to? (e.g. Red Cherry Shrimp)

Water Parameters

Please give as many as possible
PH
GH
KH
Nitrites
Nitrates
Ammonia
Copper
TDS
Temperature

Your Aquarium

Size?
How long has this tank been set up?
Are there any other inhabitants?
What is your water change schedule and%?
What do you feed and how often?
Do you add any chemicals? (water conditioner, fertiliser,meds etc)
Filtration?
Substrate?

How long has the invert been in the tank?
How did you acclimate them?

Please explain your problem with as much information as possible and include pictures if you can.
I didn't dump the bag water in. When I introduced the shrimp to the tank I carefully scooped them out of the bag and placed the net in the tank and let them swim off the net of their own accord.

As for water changes: I do them weekly. I gravel vac into a two gallon bucket. I then clean the intake sponge in the dirty water. I dump that water. I fill the bucket with distilled water from the grocery store. I used to just add tap water, but that might be the issue since the GH is very high. The water is room temp, which matches the temp of the tank. The tank is always at 72. I have a heater in there just in case the temp dips, but it rarely pops on. I add Prime to the distilled water out of an abundance of caution. I then slowly pour the water into the tank. I have a 15 gallon tank and change out two gallons every water change once a week.

PH: 7.6-7.8
GH 11/12
KH 4
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 10
Ammonia 0
Copper 0
TDS 823 (this might be the issues!)
Temperature 72

Your Aquarium

Size? 15 gallon

How long has this tank been set up? 6 months

Are there any other inhabitants? White Cloud Minnows (7), Amano shrimp (2), Clown Plecco (1)

What is your water change schedule and%? 13%

What do you feed and how often? Shrimp King complete, plus occasional brine shrimp, and uneaten Bug Bites Tropical that the Minnows leave behind, I put a small Shrimp King pellet in every day, I also tried to feed them organic blanched dandelion but they didn't touch it

Do you add any chemicals? (water conditioner, fertiliser,meds etc): Prime during water changes, Easy Green Fert irregularly and when I do, I dose one pump which would be enough for a ten gallon tank. A handful of aragonite in a stocking to keep the KH up since it would otherwise be 0/1. I did add General Cure when I saw little parasites poking out the rostrum of one shrimp. That was about a month ago. I had also "conditioned" the water with aquarium salt per a recommendation from my LFS back when I only had White Cloud Minnows. I bet this is why the TDS is so high. Gosh, the TDS should be coming down now though since I've been doing water changes with distilled water.

Filtration? Fluval C2 (I removed the carbon pad and replaced with bio rings, added sponge to the intake

Substrate? Gravel

Decorations: Spider wood, cholla wood

Plants: Java moss, java fern, water sprite, moss balls

How long has the invert been in the tank? About a month and a half
How did you acclimate them? I floated the bag for 30 minutes then very slowly added tank water to the bag until it was full. I added probably about a 1/4 cup of water at a time at 4 minute intervals (I know every 4 min seems odd, but I read that's how you do it) and then added the shrimp to the tank. When I introduced the shrimp to the tank I carefully scooped them out of the bag and placed the net in the tank and let them swim off the net of their own accord. The bagged water was poured out in my bathroom sink.

Final Thoughts: If the TDS is the issue, I assume I keep doing water changes with distilled/ro water. What's the quickest I can do water changes and not stress the shrimp?

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok rabbit a little confusion but getting there lol I also miss read and thought you were putting water from a 15 gal into your shrimp tank, I'm so sorry for miss reading what you put there's no excuses,
Let's have some photos and I want to read back through everything after I ifnish all my water changes have a shower and with the rest of the shrimpers let's see what we come up with,

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
richie.p said:
Ok rabbit a little confusion but getting there lol I also miss read and thought you were putting water from a 15 gal into your shrimp tank, I'm so sorry for miss reading what you put there's no excuses,
Let's have some photos and I want to read back through everything after I ifnish all my water changes have a shower and with the rest of the shrimpers let's see what we come up with,
I'm curious about what you think regarding the kh, gh, distilled water, etc. That stuff is way beyond me.

OP
rabbitsnfoxes

rabbitsnfoxes

Reaction score
richie.p said:
Thank you! The whole reason I started the 15 gallon was so I could have shrimp. I broke the tank in with some dainos and that snowballed into adding corydoras and then a friend moved and left me her 55 full of fish, so the danios and corys went into the 55. I then added White Clouds and shrimp to the 15 at the 6 month mark figuring the tank was established enough for shrimp. All that to say, I love my shrimp and am so sad that they keep dying on me!

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I must say you're on the ball with what your doing and how your doing it, have you tested your tap water parameters it may be worth it to get a full comparison and I mean all tests like youve don on the tanks
at the moment I tend to think the same way as you and even today's death is related to issues from a few weeks ago, its very important not to jump the gun by doing anything drastic like big water changes unless needed I see this all to often when the first thing some think is advise on big changes but reading what your doing is the right way to go, that's for the benefit of anyone reading this these situations need to be approached carefully sorting one thing at a time just like you are doing

OP
rabbitsnfoxes

rabbitsnfoxes

Reaction score
richie.p said:
I must say you're on the ball with what your doing and how your doing it, have you tested your tap water parameters it may be worth it to get a full comparison and I mean all tests like youve don on the tanks
at the moment I tend to think the same way as you and even today's death is related to issues from a few weeks ago, its very important not to jump the gun by doing anything drastic like big water changes unless needed I see this all to often when the first thing some think is advise on big changes but reading what your doing is the right way to go, that's for the benefit of anyone reading this these situations need to be approached carefully sorting one thing at a time just like you are doing
Thank you wise shrimp sage! I'll keep up the small water changes with distilled water (if I can find any in the stores - three places were totally out of water today). How often can I change the water to get the GH and TDS down? Is weekly as frequently as I should be changing?

OP
rabbitsnfoxes

rabbitsnfoxes

Reaction score
richie.p said:
There are other ways around this .
Dose your lfs sell RO water
They do, but since it isn't nearby distilled water from the grocery store is easier. Given the water shortage currently, I will call the LFS and see if they have any ro water and if they're even open.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's difficult times all round, my thought was to change that tank to pure Ro water and remineralis but that may be difficult at this time, what part of the world are you

Algonquin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
rabbitsnfoxes said:
I did add General Cure when I saw little parasites poking out the rostrum of one shrimp. That was about a month ago.
Maybe tell us a bit more about this.... ?

OP
rabbitsnfoxes

rabbitsnfoxes

Reaction score
richie.p said:
It's difficult times all round, my thought was to change that tank to pure Ro water and remineralis but that may be difficult at this time, what part of the world are you
I'm in Maryland, USA

New Threads