Molting or dead?

Discussion in 'Shrimps and Crabs' started by kkspencer22, Jun 7, 2016.

1. kkspencer22New MemberMember

I got this crab 5 days ago (fiddler crab i assume) and he was all scavenging and all then i wake up and he is on his back. I have another crab and he was hiding in the filter system. Bu tv i compaired both and the one i found was dark brown and the one on his back is light colored. I read some where they molt like that but iI dont know, i see his leg move slightly every so oftenimage

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  2. tokiodreamy

tokiodreamyWell Known MemberMember

I'm no expert in crabs but usually you'd be able to see that its a shell. I think he may be dead :(

Can you pick it up? You'll know instantly if its a shell or not that way.

3. OP
    OP
    k

kkspencer22New MemberMember

I had two and , the molten process takes a while i heard , but he should turn to that color that fast he was alive yesterday. And i seen thst i should not mess with them until after so it is a hard choice for me...

4. OP
    OP
    k

The crab also has the black black bulbs im taking it thats his eyes. So no i do not thunk that its his shell thers

5. tokiodreamy

tokiodreamyWell Known MemberMember

How long has he been in there? If he is dead, you dont want a body to cause an ammonia spike.

Whats your water parameters?

6. OP
    OP
    k

They are within their limit. I cant remember the num of ph but it was at the right one and the ammonia was 1 but i got that down

7. OP
    OP
    k

Just to inform , he did pass aways

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice