20 Gallon Tank Mollys Won’t Mate

todoroki

I had originally gotten a female and a male molly and they mated and had frys. We let some of them grow but they grew to be males so we trades them for two new female molly’s because of the ratio for molly’s being 3 females to 1 male. However, it’s almost like the original female and the male are bonded because he will NOT mate with the new females and they’ve been there for about a month now. None of them are aggressive towards each other, he just simply wants nothing to do with them. What do i do? My original female is my most important fish and I don’t want her to die due to the constant stress of mating. Please help!!

I feel like I should add, my molly’s are spotted lyretail molly’s!

Heron

It may be simply that your new females are still too young, mollies sometimes take quite a while to become sexually mature, how long have you had the new fish?
My lyretail mollies I have bred don't seem to attract the males attention until they are about a year old whilst my sailfins start breeding before they are even full size. It seems they vary.
Also male mollies seem to be attracted to certain females at certain times, when a female is in breeding condition all the males seem to chase her for a few days, then they loose interest until she's just about to give birth then they chase her until she gives birth and then for a couple more days and then they loose interest until she's ready to give birth again. And so on.
I forgot to say is your water hard enough? Mollies are less likely to breed if the water is too soft, they like harder waters.

todoroki

Heron said:
It may be simply that your new females are still too young, mollies sometimes take quite a while to become sexually mature, how long have you had the new fish?
My lyretail mollies I have bred don't seem to attract the males attention until they are about a year old whilst my sailfins start breeding before they are even full size. It seems they vary.
Also male mollies seem to be attracted to certain females at certain times, when a female is in breeding condition all the males seem to chase her for a few days, then they loose interest until she's just about to give birth then they chase her until she gives birth and then for a couple more days and then they loose interest until she's ready to give birth again. And so on.
I forgot to say is your water hard enough? Mollies are less likely to breed if the water is too soft, they like harder waters.
I’ve had my new females for over a month now, and I actually received them pregnant and they both had their babies in my tank who were eventually eaten. He has no fascination with the other females. I tried taking my original female out to get the male to start paying attention to the other females but after two hours he was still freaking out, searching the whole tank for the original female. He never once payed attention to the females in the tank. And Yes! My water is perfect for my fish, I make sure to constantly check it. My original male is always constantly mating with the original female even when she’s pregnant, but he doesn’t do it to the other females.

Heron

Are the new fish the same variety as the old ones?

todoroki

Heron said:
Are the new fish the same variety as the old ones?
yes, the new females are also spotted lyretail molly’s.

Heron

Im not sure what to tell you. I have noticed with mollies that the males sometimes all show interest in a particular female and other times don't. Somehow the females signal when they are ready to breed but I have no idea how, possibly it's some sort of hormone thing. Possibly this has something to do with your issues, I don't know.

todoroki

Heron said:
Im not sure what to tell you. I have noticed with mollies that the males sometimes all show interest in a particular female and other times don't. Somehow the females signal when they are ready to breed but I have no idea how, possibly it's some sort of hormone thing. Possibly this has something to do with your issues, I don't know.
Thank you for your help!

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom