Mollys Male Or Female

1. N

NicRudolph909 New Member Member

Hey guys I'm new to this forum and fairly new to having An aquarium just trying to get advice on my mollies genders I have 3

2. V

Vourg New Member Member

Females anal fins are shaped like a fan and males are shaped like a thick stick. Try to check those on your mollies.

3. OP
    OP
    N

Okay I think I have two males and one female can this be a problem ?

4. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

If you want both males and females it's recommended one has two females for every one male. A male can and will harass a female to death for breeding. That being said with livebearers in small tanks you can easily become over run with fry, they will breed back to back to back never ending.

5. OP
    OP
    N

This is the one that I think is a female couldn't get a clear shot

Okay I appreciate the advice now I need to be in search of a solution.

Attached Files:

6. V

Vourg New Member Member

preferably more females to male ratio. males can be quite sexually aggressive which could stress the female. you can add 2 more females if your tank is big enough to hold 5 mollies. also if you dont really like to have a population explotion much better to go all males. females could still store sperm even if you dont have males in your tank.

7. OP
    OP
    N

okay I have a 33 gallon tank and I have two glow fish as well so I think that I should be safe and give one of my male mollies away and just keep the male and female . and just get a bigger tank ?

8. V

Vourg New Member Member

that would be 2 mollies and 2 glofish. a 33 gal tank is more than enough for them to roam around plus a room for a few frys in the future.

9. OP
    OP
    N

Awesome I appreciate the help. I was thinking of getting a few giant danios ? How dose the fish per gallon thing work?

10. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

With stocking it's based on bioload, activity level, and size as an adult. There isn't really a fish per gallon rule. :) Also I would try to get another female molly, so the single female isn't harassed too much.

11. OP
    OP
    N

Okay I appreciate the help my next move is to go ahead and grab another female and see where things go from there.

12. OP
    OP
    N

I was able to get a clear picture of the mollie in question if anyone's could confirm gender I'd appreciate it.

Attached Files: