Molly's Fins Turning Dark?

  • Thread starter

livrich

New Member
Messages
32
Reaction score
8
Points
8
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've noticed that my female Molly's fins have been getting darker streaks since I got her, which was about a month ago. When I got her, she was all golden-yellow with no darker streaks. Is this normal/what's wrong? She has otherwise normal behavior. Also, does she look like she may drop fry soon (I've never seen HER have fry)?
8153d7211eff9a721da76e41c657bc6e.jpg
 

AWheeler

Well Known Member
Messages
2,326
Reaction score
1,068
Points
148
Experience
4 years
It is normal for them to change colors. My male dalmatian was more silver than anything else when I first got him, now he is completely black.
 
  • Thread starter

livrich

New Member
Messages
32
Reaction score
8
Points
8
Experience
5 to 10 years
APierce said:
It is normal for them to change colors. My male dalmatian was more silver than anything else when I first got him, now he is completely black.
Thanks!
 

Balkaran0006

Valued Member
Messages
164
Reaction score
32
Points
38
I would say she still has a long way to go before giving birth! It's also normal for them to change colours! I had a female molly that was mostly black when she was young and now she is mostly yellow!!
 

Cori Elizabeth

Well Known Member
Messages
1,511
Reaction score
427
Points
278
Experience
5 to 10 years
Perfectly normal for mollies to go through colour changes through out their lives a lot of my albinos and orange mollies develop black stripes on their fins.

she looks to be about 2 weeks pregnant, maybe less. molly gestation is 3-4 weeks so she should drop in about 2 more weeks for you if everything is all good in the tank, temperature at 28 degrees celcius, cycled tank, nice and calm environment, places to hide. otherwise she could hold for another six weeks after that or reobsorb them.
do you keep her with males? how many mollies do you have and what are their sexes? do you have any guppies, swordtails, endlers or gambosia in the tank as well? they can interbreed. are you going to separate her to give birth? breeding boxes and nets can be very stressful on mollies and sometimes they get lonely if they're put in a different tank.

hope this helps with your questions if you have anymore feel free to ask
 
  • Thread starter

livrich

New Member
Messages
32
Reaction score
8
Points
8
Experience
5 to 10 years
Cori Elizabeth said:
Perfectly normal for mollies to go through colour changes through out their lives a lot of my albinos and orange mollies develop black stripes on their fins.

she looks to be about 2 weeks pregnant, maybe less. molly gestation is 3-4 weeks so she should drop in about 2 more weeks for you if everything is all good in the tank, temperature at 28 degrees celcius, cycled tank, nice and calm environment, places to hide. otherwise she could hold for another six weeks after that or reobsorb them.
do you keep her with males? how many mollies do you have and what are their sexes? do you have any guppies, swordtails, endlers or gambosia in the tank as well? they can interbreed. are you going to separate her to give birth? breeding boxes and nets can be very stressful on mollies and sometimes they get lonely if they're put in a different tank.

hope this helps with your questions if you have anymore feel free to ask
Thanks so much! In my 10 gallon molly tank I have:
- 1 male silver sailfin
- 1 female gold-yellow lyretail
- 1 female gold dust lyretail
- 1 female dalmatian

One of my other females had 7 fry (that I knew of) and of the 6 that survived, I keep them in a small temporary setup until they are large enough to go into my 20 gallon with other fish. I don't move the female, I just scoop out and move the fry.
 

Cori Elizabeth

Well Known Member
Messages
1,511
Reaction score
427
Points
278
Experience
5 to 10 years
livrich said:
Thanks so much! In my 10 gallon molly tank I have:
- 1 male silver sailfin
- 1 female gold-yellow lyretail
- 1 female gold dust lyretail
- 1 female dalmatian

One of my other females had 7 fry (that I knew of) and of the 6 that survived, I keep them in a small temporary setup until they are large enough to go into my 20 gallon with other fish. I don't move the female, I just scoop out and move the fry.
It seems you have some stocking problems if you'd like to discuss
 
  • Thread starter

livrich

New Member
Messages
32
Reaction score
8
Points
8
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh, I was just using the 1 inch per gallon rule . Each fish is 2 inches long, so it would be a total of 8 gallons filled. I tried to not completely stock because of mollies' bioload? I'm fairly certain that they're full grown because I haven't seen any growth since I got them and they may have been slightly stunted from an overcrowded pet store tank?
 
Toggle Sidebar

New Threads

Similar Threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media





Top Bottom