Molly's Fins Turning Dark?

Discussion in 'Molly' started by livrich, Apr 9, 2017.

1. livrich

livrichNew MemberMember

I've noticed that my female Molly's fins have been getting darker streaks since I got her, which was about a month ago. When I got her, she was all golden-yellow with no darker streaks. Is this normal/what's wrong? She has otherwise normal behavior. Also, does she look like she may drop fry soon (I've never seen HER have fry)?[​IMG]

2. APierce

APierceWell Known MemberMember

It is normal for them to change colors. My male dalmatian was more silver than anything else when I first got him, now he is completely black.

3. OP
    OP
    livrich

livrichNew MemberMember

Thanks!

4. Balkaran0006

Balkaran0006Valued MemberMember

I would say she still has a long way to go before giving birth! It's also normal for them to change colours! I had a female molly that was mostly black when she was young and now she is mostly yellow!!

5. Cori Elizabeth

Cori ElizabethWell Known MemberMember

Perfectly normal for mollies to go through colour changes through out their lives :) a lot of my albinos and orange mollies develop black stripes on their fins.

she looks to be about 2 weeks pregnant, maybe less. molly gestation is 3-4 weeks so she should drop in about 2 more weeks for you if everything is all good in the tank, temperature at 28 degrees celcius, cycled tank, nice and calm environment, places to hide. otherwise she could hold for another six weeks after that or reobsorb them.
    do you keep her with males? how many mollies do you have and what are their sexes? do you have any guppies, swordtails, endlers or gambosia in the tank as well? they can interbreed. are you going to seperate her to give birth? breeding boxes and nets can be very stressful on mollies and sometimes they get lonely if they're put in a different tank.

hope this helps with your questions :) if you have anymore feel free to ask

6. OP
    OP
    livrich

livrichNew MemberMember

Thanks so much! In my 10 gallon molly tank I have:
    - 1 male silver sailfin
    - 1 female gold-yellow lyretail
    - 1 female gold dust lyretail
    - 1 female dalmatian

One of my other females had 7 fry (that I knew of) and of the 6 that survived, I keep them in a small temporary setup until they are large enough to go into my 20 gallon with other fish. I don't move the female, I just scoop out and move the fry.

7. Cori Elizabeth

Cori ElizabethWell Known MemberMember

It seems you have some stocking problems if you'd like to discuss :)

8. OP
    OP
    livrich

livrichNew MemberMember

Oh, I was just using the 1 inch per gallon rule . Each fish is 2 inches long, so it would be a total of 8 gallons filled. I tried to not completely stock because of mollies' bioload? I'm fairly certain that they're full grown because I haven't seen any growth since I got them and they may have been slightly stunted from an overcrowded pet store tank?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice